Chapter 19 - The End [Part 1]

Groggily I sat up in the bed looking around. The hallway lights were on and people moving around. Using my hands I pushed myself to the edge of the bed where my wheelchair, letting out a sigh of relief when I sat down in it. Hopefully, this would be the last day I spent in it. While wiping the sleep from my eyes, I pushed myself out into the hallways heading towards the living room. A couple of people were in the kitchen drinking coffee while the others were sitting on the couch trying to prepare themselves for what was about to come. In order to blend in to the night, we all decided to wear black, so instead of an army we ended up looking like a bunch of ninjas. Mind you we had not martial arts training whatsoever, so this was going to interesting to say the least.

“You guys ready for this?” Aiden said coming from the hallway. “Last chance to back out.” Everyone looked around at each other before nodding their head. We were going through with this. There was no turning back now. “Good, so everyone is ready. Now, last night I came up with a few ideas. The power can be shut off from the front, close to the entrance. We’ll need to shut it off as soon as we possibly can. That way, we’ll have an advantage. The backup generator will most likely kick in, but it will still be kind of hard see. David, you know the place better than all of us here.” David nodded in response. “Your job is to get Tyler to the serum, wherever it may be. It has to be somewhere that not a lot of people have access too. Dr. Odaire wouldn’t want to let just anyone around it. Administer the serum to Tyler, and if there's more of it, destroy it all. Autumn, Lauren, and Travis, you three need to find Dr. Odaire, and incapacitate him. It won’t be easy; he’ll have guards all around him. The rest of us will fight off anyone else in the building, got it?” Everyone nodded in agreement with the plan. “Perfect, now let’s go kick some ass!” Aiden cheered as we all made our way to the front door.

“How are we all going to get the—” I started before seeing the large bus parked in the driveway.

“You were saying?” Aiden laughed. He seriously rented a bus!

“I’m not using that handicap lift.” I said sternly. I already felt bad about being in a wheelchair; I was not going to accept any kind of special treatment.

“I figured you would say that.” He laughed. “David, help him out.”

Before I could protest David picked up my chair, with me in it, and carried it up the stairs of the bus before setting it down and securing it in a special harness behind the driver’s seat. Afterwards everyone piled on to the bus, and took their seat.

The ride to the Scorpio compound downtown was pretty quiet. There were small bits of chatter, but not much. I think everyone was just trying to prepare themselves for what was ahead. “Get ready, and brace yourselves!” Aiden called from the driver’s seat. A few seconds later Scorpio’s compound came into view. We were heading straight for the front entrance when Aiden gunned it and crashed through the gates.

“Everyone out now, now, now!!!” He yelled as the bus came to a screeching halt. Everyone piled out and went to work. Through the window I could see one of the guards from the gate get tossed halfway across the street. He rolled a few times, before finally stopping in an unconscious heap. I quickly unstrapped the harness from around my waist and wheelchair as David lifted it up and carried it down the stairs. An alarm went off and gunshots began to ring off in the air. I could feel one whiz by my ear as David quickly pushed me behind the bus out the line of fire.

I heard a loud scream fill the air as someone fell to their knee clutching their shoulder... The shooter was quickly pulled from the window they were perched in, and down to the pavement with a loud splat. Aiden helped them up to their feet as they pushed forward towards the building. A couple people had picked up guns from downed guards on the ground and were now laying suppressive fire while the rest of us made a beeline for the entrance. Aiden ran to a small room by the door and pulled a light switch causing the lights to shut down.

“We have about thirty seconds before the backup generator kicks in. David, get Tyler to the serum.” Aiden ordered. Next thing I knew my wheelchair was being pushed forward into the darkness.

“Where are we going exactly?” I whispered.

“To Odaire’s room. It’s the only place he would keep it. He wouldn’t trust anyone else with it.” David whispered back. The lights began to flicker a few times before finally kicking back on just as we turned the corner running into two guards. Before they could even respond David pulled a small device from his pocket and pressed down on. Electricity shot from the device and seemed to wrap itself around the two guards. They began to shake violently before falling to the ground, still shaking form the electrical current flowing through their bodies. I maneuvered my wheelchair around their limp bodies as we moved further down the hallway before finally coming to Dr. Odaire’s door. Aiden’s plan was working perfectly, or so I thought.

Lauren’s POV

We continued to fight our way further into the building trying to locate Dr. Odaire. We knew he’d be either be by his office cowering in fear or somewhere near the center, thinking we wouldn’t be able to make it that far into the building. Aiden and everyone else were still back fighting towards the front trying to divert attention away from us. So far it had worked; the hallways were completely empty which was perfect. We had come to a point where the hallway ended and led into a large opening. Standing in the center was a man with a sickening grin spread across his face. Doctor Odaire.

“Ah, I see you managed to get past my guards.” He smiled. “Unfortunately, this is where your journey ends.” He said. I had to reframe from laughing at how ridiculous he was.

“Is this where you call in a bunch of people to save you?” I grinned. I was going to enjoy kicking his ass. He just shook his head no.

“I plan on handling this myself” he growled. Before I could even blink my body was whisked into the air and flying across the room before my head went slamming into a wall. I heard Autumn scream my name and then from there everything was blur. My head was pounding and I could barely keep my eyes open. There was a lot of noise, sounds of scuffling before a gunshot finally went of leaving the room in dead silence.

Fighting against the pain in my head I managed to look up just as Travis’ lifeless body fell to the floor.

Tyler’s POV

David pushed open the door to Odaire’s room cautiously at first, and then he flung it open once he realized what was in it. It had been turned into a supply room. “Shit.” David cursed under his breath. “He must have known this would be the first place we would’ve looked. C’mon we got to check another room.” He stepped back and reached for my chair but I stopped him.

“Wait. What if that’s what he wants us to do? What if he knew that we would never look in here so that’s where he hid it for safe keeping?” Before I knew it David was rambling through all the stuff tossing it left and right. It wasn’t until he turned over a small shelf that a small black box fell into view. “What’s that?” I asked pointing at it. He picked it up examining it carefully before opening it. His eyes lit up when he saw what was inside.

“Jackpot!” he exclaimed, pulling out a small vial and syringe from the box. I couldn’t help but hold out my hands like a greedy little child begging for candy. This is it, the moment I’d been waiting for. David filled the syringe with the liquid from inside the vial before handing it to me. I rolled it over carefully in my hands examining it. This was all too good to be true. Everything was going perfectly. I took in a deep breath before pushing the needle beneath the surface of my skin, and into my vein. It stung a bit, but I ignored it. I hesitated a bit before finally pushing down on the top of the syringe, injecting the liquid into my veins.

“Did it work? Do you feel special or something?” David asked anxiously. I tried to respond but my mouth just wouldn’t work. Instead it just came out as a bunch of slurs. Out of nowhere my heart just started pounding and I began to feel light headed. Suddenly eyes felt heavier than a ton of bricks, and before David could even ask what the hell was wrong with me, everything went black.

A/N: Only one more chapter left! I'm tempted to right a sequel but I'm unsure about it. I just don't want to start and get writers bloc and not finish, or it be terrible and I regret writing it haha. I may just start something new. What do you think?? VOTE and COMMENT!!