Chapter 9 - The Extraction

I spent the rest of the night reliving my life going over the events that led me to this point. If I had just left Jeremy alone in the first place I wouldn’t have been in the predicament. I was so impulsive. Growing up, I didn’t really have a bunch of friends, only a few. My dad said it would be the best way to keep a low profile. There were so many times I wanted to tell someone, anyone what I was going through. I guess that’s why I was so eager to befriend Jeremy.

No matter how hard I tried, I could never fall asleep. The bed was lumpy and uncomfortable to lay on, and midway through the night my neck started to hurt from laying on the thin pillow. I got up to stretch and use the bathroom, the room’s camera watching me the entire time. “Do you mind?” I asked looking at the camera with an irritated expression. Whoever was behind the camera surprisingly showed an ounce of compassion and turned the camera to the other side of the room so that I could relieve myself in private.  That camera turned back towards me once I had finished and laid back down on the bed. I closed my eyes and tried to go back to sleep.

Just when I began to doze off there was a loud bang and the door to the room was blown out of its frame. I jumped up preparing myself to fight. “Come on son!” I heard by dad call from behind the smoke. I rushed through the thick smoke that had begun to cloud up the room making my way towards my dad’s voice. When I entered the hallway, no one was there.

“Dad!” I called,  “Where are you?” When no one responded I continued down the halls towards the control room. “Dad!” I yelled a bit louder this time.

“Tyler!” I heard him call back from further down the hall. I made way to the sound of his voice hoping to find him. I came to the end of the hallway and made a left heading through a set of black double doors  that lead into an open room. “Tyler where are you?” I heard my dad’s voice call again. I walked further into the room before someone jumped out from behind me. It was Doctor Odaire. A small grin was plastered across his face as he held up a small tape player. He push play and once again my dad’s voice filled the room. “Tyler where are you?” it played. He lifted up his right arm which contained a silver pistol. “Goodbye Mr. Walters” he winked before pulling the trigger. Everything went black and was quiet. The only audible sound was the faint voice of Doctor Odaire calling my name. “Mr. Walters... Mr. Walters, wake up please.”

I groaned rubbing my neck before slowly opening my eyes. It was all a dream. I yawned while simultaneously breathing a sigh of relief. “My name is not Mr. Walters.” I croaked out.”

Doctor Odaire grinned and adjusted his tie before he replied. “Ah, still being refusing to believe in the truth I see. Come on now, I have something I would like to show you.” he finished smiling mischievously. Grunting, I got up from the bed and made my way sheepishly over to Doctor Odaire and his bodyguard.

“I’m not going to hurt you if that’s what you’re worried about.” I grinned. He was scared of me, as he should be.

“I assume you’re referring to Mr. Ayres here,” He said motioning towards the bodyguard to his right. I nodded and he continued. “Mr. Ayres is not here for my sake, he’s here for yours.”

“What do you mean?” I questioned.

“Mr. Ayres here—“

“Just call me David sir.” The guard interjected with a small smile. Doctor Odaire nodded.

“Well then, David here will be watching over you for the duration of your lif—I mean your stay here at Scorpio.” He finished as I winced at his slip in words. He was going to say the ‘duration of my life,’ and probably on purpose too just to shake me up. It worked.

“Oh and Mr. Walters, you should be worrying about me hurting you.” He whispered. I just stared at him with disgust. Seemingly pleased with my reaction he smiled and continued walking. “Now where were we... Ah yes, I have something I would like to show you.” He stated as we walked down the hallway. We made a couple of turns before coming to a small red door. “Since you seem to be in denial about your true identity, I figured it would be best to show you proof.” He said as we walked into the room.