Chapter Ten

"Noah it's time to get up" Madison banged on her sons door for the third time that morning. The first day of school had come up faster than they expected and Madison was a bust tornado. Unlike the summer of eggs or pancakes for breakfast now they were back to cereal. She had however prepared a nice lunch the night before for each kid to take with them.

She then headed towards the girls room and checked inside but frowned when she noticed they were gone. She glanced around the hallway but couldn't see them anywhere. She rushed down stairs and sighed when she saw them at the kitchen table. She raised a curious eyebrow towards Brandon who was leaning against the counter drinking coffee.

"French toast?" she asked grabbing the girls a few raspberries to throw on top. She got out a cup of orange juice for each other them and then sat at the table.

"I do know how to cook missy" Brandon said pushing himself off the counter "the lunch boxes are in their bags and I'll go get Noah". He walked towards the stairs and called behind him "the girls wanted you to do their hair".

Madison was amazed – there was no other way to say it. For the last seven years – even fourteen considering Alex never did anything – she would always have to get the kids ready on her own. Every morning she would rush and struggle along the way just to get herself and the kids out the door in time. She would barely have time to get dressed before having to rush out the door to school.

She stood behind the girls and started to quickly braid Emma's hair. She tied it with a blue ribbon that matched the little girls dress. She then pulled Ella's hair into a ponytail and added a pink bow. "You girls sure you're okay with going to a new school?"

Emma and Ella both nodded as they nibbled on their toast. "You know mommy wont be there this year" she said "and aunt Brooklyn wont be your teacher".

"We know mommy" Emma said "but we will have each other".

Ella nodded in agreement "yes we will".

Madison was a little disappointed that her daughters weren't going to miss her at all. She knew it was a good sign that her daughters were becoming independent but she felt like maybe she was losing her babies.

Noah came bolting down the stairs wearing jeans and a t-shirt. His hair was damp and shaggy over his eyes. "I'm going to be late" he mumbled grabbing a glass of juice "why didn't you wake me earlier?"

"I tried to, but you were out to the world" Madison said grabbing him a serving of Brandon's toast "but you still have a half hour before we drive you" she pointed out.

Noah shook his head "I don't need a drive". When his mother looked at him confused he went on to explain, "Anna and I are going to walk together until it gets too cold. Then I'll need a drive". He grabbed his bag and tossed it over his shoulder "hey can I have some money for lunch?"

"What?" Madison asked confused "but I made you lunch last night".

But Brandon took a twenty out of his wallet and handed it over to his son "that's for the week. If you run out then you need to have a packed lunch on day" he said "we can see about that every week in your grades are good and you're in class on time".

Madison watched Brandon stunned, she wasn't used to him going against her and she wasn't expecting him to disagree with her about this. Noah was her son, it should have been her choice if he would buy his lunch – but... then again Noah in Brandon's mind was also his son.

"Say hi to Anna for us okay?" Brandon said. Noah nodded to them and left the house. His parents watched as he headed down the pathway to an awaiting Anna. His face brightened in a smile and he took hold of her hand.