Chapter Thirty

This morning the newly married Haywood couple would be leaving for their honeymoon down at Riverbend in their cottage. The couple had decided to spend last night at home together with the kids. Also that way Brandon and Madison would be able to say goodbye to their kids in the morning.

When Madison opened her eyes the next morning she found that Brandon was still fast asleep next to her. She smiled warmly to herself. The poor man must have tuckered himself out yesterday and with the long drive ahead of him she couldn't resist letting him sleep in a little longer. She tucked the covers around his chin before she grabbed her robe and headed down to the kitchen for breakfast. But much to her surprise she found that Rebecca was already there.

"I'm reporting for duty," Rebecca said cheerfully. "I'm sorry to surprise you like this but I thought I would make breakfast for you all. You shouldn't be cooking on your honeymoon".

Madison smiled when she saw the large tray of French toast with icing sugar. "Thank you so much" she said as she took a seat at the table.

Rebecca smiled at Madison warmly "sweetheart do you mind if we talk a little? Just quickly okay?" she placed a plate of food in front of her as if she was buttering her up.

"Of course" Madison said without a single care in the world as she dug into her food.

Rebecca held out a piece of paper "dear did you and Brandon sign this during the ceremony?" she asked a little too calmly.

"Hmm?" Madison looked down at the fake marriage license in confusion. Of course she signed it. The pastor had asked her and Brandon to step forward to sign the papers. She had assumed it was part of making things look real. "Yeah of course. It's just a fake document anyways".

"I'm afraid... it's not actually fake," Rebecca said softly.

"W-what?"

"We had a fake one printed by the lawyers. But the pastor didn't seem to receive it on time and instead used the legal binding copy that they provide any newly married couple. I'm afraid with your signatures and that of your two witnesses... well the document are already in the process of being filed with the courts. It seems as though you and Brandon are now... legally married".

Madison's jaw froze and her fork fell from her hands making a large clang against the glass. "But I.... I thought it was going to be fake".

"It was supposed to be. It was all ready to go... we just forgot to give it to the pastor it seems. If it hadn't been filed last night after the wedding then it wouldn't be a concern. But it seems as though it has been. And there is no stopping it now".

"So... what do I do?" Madison asked completely stunned. "Like this is real? Really married? To the entire country of Canada I am now Madison Haywood? Full binding legal marriage?"

"Yes" Rebecca said with a soft sigh "we will work on getting the marriage annulled but it is going to take some time okay? We are going to do this as fast as we can. We have already caused you and your family enough trouble. We don't want to add more to it."

Madison looked down at her plate. Her and Brandon were now legally husband and wife? They were bond to each other? They would be together unless they wanted a divorce. Isn't this the stability that Madison had wanted? Didn't she want to know that Brandon wasn't going to leave her if his memory came back to him? Didn't she want a relationship that felt real? Well what can be more real than a binding marriage? "I... it's no rush" she said softly.

When Rebecca looked at her with slight confusion she had to continue. "I mean that Brandon doesn't show any signs of getting his memory back any time soon. So as far as he knows we really are married right now. It won't affect him one way of another right now. So it really isn't any rush. Him and I are still going to treat each other the same way right now".