Chapter Eighteen

"It has certainly been a long time since we've had one of these nights" Brooklyn walked to the kitchen table in her small apartment holding her finest china.

Over the years that Madison and Brooklyn had been friends every couple months Hunter would take all the kids out to a cheap moving for an evening. This gave the two moms some much needed alone time together. They would make some kind of 'fancy' food and have a bottle of wine. Then they would sit together at the table with candles and have a nice dinner followed by a romantic movie of their own.

"Yeah it has" Madison said almost sadly. She was disappointed in herself for not giving her old friend al the time she deserved. They used to see each other every day, both at work and at home, but now they were lucky to see each other every couple weeks.

"This night will make up for all those times we have missed" Brooklyn said setting the tray of food on the table "so how has it been going at home?"

Madison sighed a little "Emma seems to have her attitude still and I can't seem to understand why. When we first moved in with Brandon she was so happy and content with life. Even when school first started, she seemed to be adjusting well. But now... it's like she snapped".

Brooklyn entered teacher mode with a frown on her face "how are the other students treating her?"

"She seemed to have a lot of friends when we saw her in class" she gave a little shrug "but it was majority boys. Maybe the girls haven't been treating her well".

"That could be it. What about Ella? Are they still close?"

"At home yeah but I'm not sure in school. Ella seems to have finally found a group of girls she likes to hang out with" Madison said.

Brooklyn nodded and thought for a moment "Emma could be jealous that her sister is popular now. Usually Emma had all the friends".

"That is true I guess. Maybe she isn't adjusting well to the new school," Madison thought for a moment. Brandon said the same thing but Madison had a feeling that it wasn't just school. She felt like there was more to it.

Her friend flashed her a reassuring smile grabbing two wine glasses and setting them on the table. She reached to grab the red wine her husband had selected for the night.

"Oh none for me thanks" Madison said raising her hands.

"Wait, what?" Brooklyn was taken back that she almost forgot that she was holding the bottle as it nearly slipped from her hands.

Madison realized how suspicious that was. They two woman always had at least one drink together and now she was suddenly turning it down?

Brooklyn raised a curious eyebrow and slowly took a seat at the table across from Madison. She paused for a moment, watching the other woman in suspense before she leaned in a little closer as if they were about to share a secret. "And why dear lady do you not want any wine? In all the years I've known you I don't think you've ever turned down a free drink unless you were expecting a baby".

Madison looked away and gave a small little shrug "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm just not thirsty today".

"Oh so you aren't pregnant with Brandon's baby?" Brooklyn asked. But before Madison could even answer she added "and remember you have never kept a secret from me before so don't be starting that now".

She sighed a little and looked down. Her friend had always been there for her ever since she had left Alex, and she really was her biggest support system. If she were there for her before then why would that change now? With or without a man she was still her best friend. "You're right," she whispered.