Chapter Twenty-Four

"I'm sorry, I don't think I heard you right" Madison said early one weekend morning "what did you say?" it was far too early in the morning to be dealing with this. Especially something Madison has been avoiding dealing with for nearly fifteen years. She was doing perfectly fine on her own and if they thought they could just waltz in after all this time then they got another thing coming.

"I said your parents are coming over today" Brandon stood at the stove preparing breakfast for the family.

"And why were they even invited?" Madison asked confused. She's had zero contact with them since they kicked her out for being pregnant with Noah. They shouldn't know where she was currently living and would have no way of getting in contact with her.

"They phoned my office a couple weeks ago" Brandon said "they claimed that they missed you and wanted to reconnect". He glanced over at her confused and disbelieving face "but don't worry. The moment I got the call I contacted a few private investigators to check into their background. They are your parents so no need to worry. I know that with our wealth con artists might try to take advantage of that".

But little to Brandon's knowledge he willingly just allow a couple of con artists right into his home. Madison didn't doubt that they were her parents and frankly it didn't matter to her so much. It didn't matter the DNA they shared in their veins. She knew her family well enough to know they didn't miss her in the slightest. What they 'miss' is the money she has access to now.

The way she saw was they must have seen her on the news to announce Brandon's new charity outreach. The Haywood family is well known within the city and their wealth from Telling Tales is no secret. So when her face flashed across the screen her parent's eyes must have started to flash green with envy.

"I didn't think you'd invite them," Madison said trying to stay calm and relaxed. She needed to put on a show. Make it seem like she was a lot chiller about this entire thing. Even if inside she was ready to explode,

"I know, I didn't think I'd end up inviting them to our house either" Brandon said getting the plates ready "but they truly seemed so interested in our lives. They mentioned how they regret not being there for our first wedding and when the kids were born. They explained that they shouldn't have degraded our relationship simply because of our age. They realized now that just because we were young doesn't mean we weren't right for each other".

Madison nodded, there wasn't much more she could do or say other than "when are they coming?"

"A little after lunch" Brandon said.

She nodded again "alright. I think I'm going to lie down a little. My tummy is a little off today".

Brandon frowned "your morning sickness is getting worse?" he asked with concern.

She smiled softly "I'll be fine. I'm sure it'll pass". She nodded to him and headed back upstairs. She crawled into her overstuffed bed and tugged the covers over her head. What was she to do? Day after day it felt as though everything that came her way stood a chance of ruining everything for her. First Kennedy walks in with a son, then Alex starts to blackmail her, Samantha shows up dating Alex and now to top it all off her parents are reentering the picture.

Although it had been fifteen years ago there was no way her parents could forget about Alex and how she had fallen pregnant. What if they had say something about it?

She really was playing with fire these days. It was only a matter of time before she slipped up somewhere.

For hours she laid awake in her bed over analyzing everything. She didn't feel like doing anything now. In fact when Brandon brought her some chicken soup she didn't even feel like eating it.