Chapter 41

(Kaelynn)

The last few weeks have consisted of hard work. I've been so damn busy with school, exercising, and work. It isn't easy balancing it all, but it's worth it.

With all I've had going on, I hadn't been able to get out to the hospital to see mom too often. Mikayla and baby Kiya were relased a few days a part from each other. They're both currently living with dad. Dad wanted me to live with them too, but I just didn't want to. I'm managing the bills for mom right now with what I make at the shop.

Living by myself isn't ideal, but I would rather not live with my dad. He has a newborn, a recovering teen, and other children to take care of. He insisted he could handle everything, but I know he's stressed the hell out. His life has changed drastically due to mom's condition. Originally, mom was going to be the one mainly taking care of Kiya.

"Kae, are you busy?" Celita asked as she appeared in the doorway.

It's funny how I'm just sitting here at a shampoo bowl but she still asked me that. I'm actually not doing anything at all at the moment.

"I'm not. What's up?" I was about to stand up but she came over and sat beside me.

"Well, I just wanted to thank you for your hard work today. Ever since we did that shoot last week, new customers have just been pouring in. We've been so busy."

Yeah, she's right. Out of the six hours I've been here this evening, this is the first time I'm seeing her take a break.

"How do you like being my assistant? Be completely honest please."

It's not that bad at all. What I do depends on what she has time to do. If she can't, I'll wash and condition the customer's hair. If they want a sew in, I'll often braid their hair. I feel like I get paid well for what I do.

"I like it. We work well together."

"I do agree." She smiled. "I truly believe you are why I've maintained so many clients. By you prepping them, I'm able to work on multiple heads quicker. I thank you for that."

I'm flattered, but it's almost like she's giving me too much credit. She had great business when I first started. I'm not that special.

"No thank you. This is a wonderful opportunity. I'm so glad you gave me the job."

Jahmir has been trying to get me to work here for a while now. I'm glad the job wasn't taken when I finally came to my senses. These women don't give a damn what I look like. They come here to improve their appearance themselves. Most of them are always nice to me when they come in.

"You're welcome. I came in here to ask if you thought about my offer."

Celita had been helping me learn how to work with weave. I already somewhat knew how, but her tips and tricks have helped me tremendously. Now she has been wondering if I would be interested in my own booth. That would mean more money for me. Right now, since I'm still in school, I don't think that's the best idea though. I wouldn't be able to do very many heads after school. Doing only a portion of the work allows me to do more heads. I'll consider it once I'm done with school though. I'm not planning on going to college. College ain't for everybody. I'll be able to work here full time.

"For now I'm perfectly fine assisting you."

She smiled as she stood up. She started picking up the towels scattered around everywhere. "Okay honey. I just wanted to ask. I don't want you to think I'm trying to hold you back or anything."

That's really considerate of her. Had I known working here would be this good, I would have already been here. Instead I let foolish insecurities get in the way of money. How stupid.