Chapter 43

Reading dad's text sent relief over me. He forgot to tell me something important while I was at his house.

"Get anything you want, Okay?"

"Thanks." Mikayla mumbled as she held the door for me.

We entered the gas station and she headed straight for the freezers. I grabbed two bottles of water while she got a Gatorade. She also got a muffin and a bag of salt and vinegar chips. As tempting as it was to pick up some junk, I declined.

As we approached the semi long line of customers, I heard my name being called. A tall, light skin, muscular dread head guy came over to Mikayla and I and gave us hugs. Mikayla spoke to him, but I was still trying to figure out who the hell he was.

"Wassup Eric!" Mikayla said. "What brings you back to town?"

Eric! Jahmir's cousin. I actually met him before I met Jahmir. He was two grades ahead of me, but we used to go to the same schools. After high school, he went off to college to play football. Besides his grandparents, Eric was the only other family member that Jahmir got kind of close to.

"You know thanksgiving week is about to come up soon. I just wanted to visit my family and friends in the A."

"I don't believe that. That's two weeks away." Mikayla furrowed her brows at him. "You haven't came back to Atl in a few years. Everybody knows you transferred."

He chuckled then nodded. "Okay, you caught me. As soon as the opportunity presented itself, I came back."

They talked more until it was time for the cashier to ring up out stuff. I also asked for thirty dollars of gas.

"36.81."

"I got it."

Eric pulled out a card, but I politely declined.

"That won't be necessary."

He quickly stuck his card in the machine then chuckled.

"Oops, too late."

Mikayla took the bag and said bye to Eric on her way out the door. He held the door for me to walk out.

"Thank you. Really. But I could have paid for it."

"It's cool. I'm trying to keep the southern hospitality thing going on."

I simply nodded. Wasn't too sure what to say to that.

"Damn Faye, you've gotten really beautiful over the years. Well you were always a cute kid, but you just... Well you know what I mean. I think. I hope."

His nervousness came out of nowhere. He knows he's wrong for calling me Faye. I used to laugh every time Jahmir got mad at him for calling me that. Jahmir felt like that was only his special nickname for me.

"Thank you." I smiled.

"Well I gotta get going. Do you think I could maybe text you sometimes?" He questioned as he tried to hand me his phone.

This has never happened to me before. A guy has never asked me for my number before. I can't help but think that it wouldn't have happened if I was heavier. Doesn't matter though. I have the numbers of the only two guys I'll ever need.

"Jahmir probably wouldn't like that much."

"Why you say that?"

"He's my boyfriend of course."

Eric smiled and gave me a small hug. "Damn it's about time his scary self finally asked you to be his girlfriend." He chuckled. "Congrats."

"Thanks."