three;

____________________

"Today we're going to change things up a bit," my biology TA says

"Today we're going to change things up a bit," my biology TA says. His name is Scott Keller and he runs the bio labs for Dr. Stein, one of the main biology professors at the university. I'm zoning out completely, my thoughts anywhere but on the course as he speaks, and it isn't until I hear him say "we're switching up lab partners" that I finally snap to attention.

The students around me begin gathering up their belongings and finding other tables to sit at. I stay planted on my stool, felling like a deer caught in the headlights. It had taken close to an entire week for me to get comfortable enough to even speak with my old lab partner, Selena, and I'm startled to find that she goes straight to another girl across the room without looking back.

A chair squeaks against the tile floor as someone sits next to me, radiating an impressive amount of body heat.

"Mind if we pair up?" A familiar voice asks.

I glance sideways to find one of the hockey players Hazel and I had scammed at the Halloween party this past weekend. Alex I think his name was? His lips part into a warm smile, but his brown eyes have a mischievous glint to them that causes a lump to form in my throat.

Usually I have no problem talking to guys. Growing up in an abusive home didn't make me afraid of the world or every man in it; well, it did in the beginning but Nichole and I worked through that and despite a small dose of social anxiety that plagues me every now and then, the confidence I have in myself has grown a considerable amount. But with Alex watching me with his knowing stare, I'm suddenly all too aware of the fact that I'm dressed like the class hobo. My hair is tied up into a messy bun, I'm wearing sweatpants with "Denver" written along the pant leg, a university T-shirt, and beaten up sneakers. Nothing like the skimpy dress I had worn on Halloween.

At the head of the room, Scott begins scribbling instructions on the whiteboard as to how we are supposed to spend the rest of the class period.

"You hustled us," Alex says in a low voice.

I shrug once and rap my fingers on the textbook in front of me. "Gotta pay for my books somehow."

Amusement dances in his eyes, but he doesn't respond. Instead, Alex shifts his attention back to the front of the room where Scott begins directing the class.