thirty-seven;

____________________

"...damaged kidney...other lacerations are superficial..."

A man's voice echoes in my ears, but it sounds so far away. I strain to listen to the words, but then I'm sucked back into utter blackness.

✖️✖️✖️

"Hey babe, it's Hazel. Come back to us."

I want to tell her that I'm trying, but the words don't come.

✖️✖️✖️

"They said that you might be able to hear me."

Alex?

"I'm so sorry Mabes. This is all my fault."

Why can't I open my eyes? I need to tell him that he's wrong.

"I love you so much..."

His voice sounds muffled, like I'm listening to him speak from underwater, and then it's suddenly gone.

✖️✖️✖️

"Hi Mabel it's Nurse Sarah... Look at you, your vitals look wonderful today, honey."

I struggle to open my eyes, but a deep sleep pulls me back, tugging at the edges of my consciousness.

✖️✖️✖️

Someone touches my hand, and I crack my eyes open, my vision blurring as I squint against the bright lights. Aunt Jo peers back at me, relief washing over her.

"Wha..." I croak.

She brushes a finger over my lips, tears spilling down her cheeks. "No baby, shh, don't try and talk yet. It's okay."

Jo reaches above my head and I hear the soft click of the call light being pulled. She brushes my cheek gently as she pulls her hand back, a sad smile splayed across her lips.