thirty-one;

____________________

Alex pulls me onto his lap while I type out an email to Alice

Alex pulls me onto his lap while I type out an email to Alice. His legs and arms keep me caged in, which surprisingly makes me feel safer and more secure as I tap away on my phone.

Dear Alice,
My name is Mabel Carter and I am Dwaine's daughter. I don't know if he's told you about me, but I would feel horrible if something happened and I hadn't told you about him. I'm not expecting you to believe what I'm about to say, but I do need to tell you what kind of man my father is.
When I was born my mother died in childbirth, and he has blamed me ever since. The first few years of my life, from what I remember of it, were that of what I assume to be a normal childhood with a single parent. But my father is an angry and bitter man. He started beating me when I was in first grade, so at about six years old, and continued to do so until I moved away on my eighteenth birthday. He would lock me in the closet for hours at a time, beat me with a belt, kick me, punch me, etc. He would try and control every aspect of my life with force, and because of this I've been scarred in all senses of the word. Emotionally, mentally, physically, you name it.
I found you on Facebook so I know that you have a daughter, and a young one at that. I'm not trying to frighten you, but you deserve the truth. Maybe my father has changed, but I wanted to let you know about his old habits in case he turns back to them so you aren't blindsided.
I wish all the happiness in the world for you and your daughter, I really do.

Stay safe,
Mabel

My thumb lingers over the send button and I bite the corner of my bottom lip. Should I really send it?

Alex drags his nose along my cheek and presses and light kiss there. He stays quiet, letting me think it over. Finally, after what feels like a solid hour, but was probably only two or three minutes, I hit send. There's no going back now. No taking back the email and pretending like it never happened.

There's no feeling of accomplishment that swells within me, but rather an overwhelming wave of guilt. I probably just ruined this woman's perception of a man she loves.