twenty-five;

WARNING: This chapter has depictions of abuse.

____________________

The day after New Years I fly back to Colorado with my own prescription of Xanax to use as needed

The day after New Years I fly back to Colorado with my own prescription of Xanax to use as needed. I hope I don't have to use it, but I'm glad that Jo's husband wrote me the script just in case. I take a taxi to a motel from the airport where I'll be staying for the next week until classes start up again, and by the time I make it to my suite I'm utterly exhausted from the flight and holiday activities.

I drop my suitcases at the door and flop down face-first onto the mattress. It doesn't take long for sleep to overtake me, calling my name so enticingly, but this time it isn't dreamless. This time, he's in my head again, haunting me.

✖️✖️✖️

"You worthless piece of shit! You're the reason I'll never see my Laura again!" My father howls from the living room. My hands fly over my ears as tears stream down my face. "Mabel I know you're here! Get your ass in here!"

A loud bang vibrates the bathroom door I sit curled up against as he pounds on the wood. He'd been drinking again and looking through old photo albums as he finished unpacking when I came home from my first day of school. The door shakes more violently and I hastily crawl between the toilet and the bathtub in fear of it breaking around me.

The door flies open as my father kicks it and I squeeze my eyes shut. "Why the hell are you hiding?" he growls, snatching my frail wrists in his hands. The scent of whiskey fans out over my face, burning my nose. "You should've answered me when I called out for you!"

"I-I'm sorry daddy," I choke out through a sob.

He yanks me roughly to my feet, moving both of my wrists into one of his hands as he whirled back the other and struck the side of my face with his palm.

"Why did you take her from me?" His ice blue eyes are frantic as he leers down at me, but I know nothing I could possibly say will ease his tension. "Not going to answer, huh? Fine. I'll get the belt." He shoves me backwards and I lose my footing, my head connecting with the side of the tub on the way down.