four;

____________________

I end up agreeing to the study session being at my dorm

I end up agreeing to the study session being at my dorm. Alex seems more than just a little surprised when I decide on my place, but I highly doubt he knows the reason why. The truth is there's probably going to be less of a chance of Alex and I being alone together at my place since I share the dorm suite with Hazel. And the walls are thin enough that if I scream someone is bound to come running.

Hazel is lounging on the couch eating take-out when we enter the living area. She doesn't bother looking up and continues scrolling through Netflix on the TV.

"What do you think, Mabel? Should we get with the program and watch Orange is the New Black?" This time she looks back at me and her eyes nearly bulge out of her head when she sees who I'm with. "Oh. Shit. Did I miss a text? I didn't realize you were bringing home company."

"Relax, we're here to study. We have our bio lab together," I reassure her. "Hazel, this is Alex. Alex, Hazel."

"We've already met," Hazel replies flippantly. "I can go watch TV in my room if you guys want the couch."

I wave her off. "It's fine, we'll use my room." I turn to Alex who is watching me with a puzzled expression. "Do you want anything to drink?"

He shakes his head and follows me as I lead him into my bedroom.

"Door stays open, kiddos!" Hazel calls from the living room, causing Alex to chuckle under his breath as he crosses the room to plop down on my bed.

"I was planning on it," I yell back, rolling my eyes.

"She acts like your mother," Alex says from the bed. His gaze is flickering around my room, studying his surroundings.

"She's just looking out for me." With Alex's wandering eyes I'm suddenly all too aware of the blank walls that surround us. I know that most girls my age decorate their dorms in a way to express themselves, in a way to own the spaces they're confined in, but I didn't bring much with me.

"You don't have pictures of your family in here," he muses. "You're not homesick?"

His question causes a fresh wave of anxiety to hit me. I bite down hard on my lower lip as I shake my head, moving to sit at my desk.