sixteen;

____________________

I've only completed two out of four final exams, and I'm already beat

I've only completed two out of four final exams, and I'm already beat. As I make it inside the dorm suite, I realize I have a decision to make. Either stay up for a few more hours to study for tomorrow's exam, or get some much needed sleep.

"Good you're finally home," Hazel calls from her room.

I groan inwardly and toss my book bag on the couch. As much as I love our friendship, I was so looking forward to relaxing.

"I feel like we haven't spent time together in ages," she continues, stepping out into the living room.

"We live together," I remind her with a dry laugh.
"And yet we never see each other," She retorts with a playful scowl. "Between the holiday break, finals, and each of us now having boyfriends...I just miss our girl nights. Ya know?"

I let out a soft defeated sigh. Hazel is right. After this week we won't see each other for another two or three weeks until the next semester, and we haven't had girl time in ages.

"Should I break out the box wine?"

She grins back at me happily. "Hells yes! Can we do facials too?"

I nod, returning her smile as I go to the kitchenette area to grab two glasses and the wine. We usually have a small stock kept up of drinks that Mia's boyfriend buys for us since he's twenty-one, whether it be cheap box wine, vodka, wine coolers, etc.
Hazel waits for me on the couch with a small mirror already on the coffee table as she sorts through different peel masks.

Ten minutes later we're both sporting plush headbands to keep our hair back and pastel green faces as we wait for our masks to dry. Hazel gingerly sips her wine, leaning back against the throw pillows as she turns on the TV. We decide on a show with an overly dramatic portrayal of a group of foul-mouthed women.

"So you and Alex are a thing now, hey?" Hazel asks. Her tone is light, but I've known her long enough to tell when she's fishing for information.

I pluck a piece of cucumber off of a paper plate and pop it into my mouth, making her sweat it out while I take my time chewing. "Yeah, I guess," I finally reply.