Chapter 15: The City Of Bones

Hey guys! Hope you're enjoying this story! I know the last chapter was quite short so here's a slightly longer (with a few more to follow) one to hopefully make up for it!
__________________________________________
Chapter 15
The City Of Bones

It wasn't long before they arrived near what Alec had told Kiara, was the 'City of Bones'.

"Yeah, this place isn't creepy." Simon said. "Not at all." He said, making Kiara roll her eyes.

Izzy smirked. "Don't tell me you're afraid." She said.

Simon scoffed. "Are you kidding me? I was born afraid...which sounded a lot better in my head." He said, turning kind of sheepish towards the end, making Izzy laugh and Alec roll his eyes.

"Can't he not make a fool of himself for once?" Kiara muttered, annoyed.

"Let's check it out." Alec said, stepping forward.

"Wait here a minute. I want to see if it's safe." Jace told Clary.

"Come on with me." Alec told Kiara. "We need to get this place checked." Kiara nodded and followed Alec while Clary awkwardly stood behind with Simon standing next to her.

"Alec! Kiara isn't really experienced in securing the area and everything. If by some chance, something come up, she won't be able to fight it off." Jace told Alec.

"The possibility of something unexpected turning up is exactly why I have her next to me." Alec hissed. "What if something turns up near the other girl? What will she do? Use the damned mundane as a shield?"

"Alec, I get it you don't like this but..." Jace started.

"Jace you do realise that we are taking two girls who have no idea what they're facing into the city of bones?" Alec asked. "You do realise that if something goes wrong, if something happens to either of them, it's on us. You know that, don't you?" Alec asked Jace.

"And you know exactly what will happen if Valentine gets the Cup before we do." Jace told him.

"Alec..." Kiara hesitantly interrupted. "We've had our world turned upside down. It's what we need to do."

"I know exactly what that feels like." Jace said. "And honestly Alec, what's your problem with these two anyway? Your family always used to welcome strays."

"You were never a stray." Alec told Jace. "And it's not them I have a problem with. It's the complications with them that I don't like."

"Nothing had changed. And that's the important part." Jace said. "We're in this fight together. There just...two more of us." He told.

Kiara looked away to see Clary and Simon talking. She was almost sure that it was Simon trying to convince Clary to leave with him and Clary was adamant.
____________________
After some discussion, it was decided that Clary would go first.

Alec and Kiara went in not long after Clary and Jace.

"Why couldn't we just go in with them?" Kiara asked.

"Only one person is allowed with the person whose memories are being retrieved." Alec explained. "We figured you'll both need someone who knows these things well."

Kiara nodded in understanding.

"So, how are these Silent Brothers?" She asked.

"Well, they certainly aren't like us." He replied.

"What? Do they lack your charm and superior people skills?" She asked, giggling.

Alec looked at her in amusement. "Well, that is one difference." He said shrugging. "But see the important one is, they communicate without using words. Using just their thoughts."

"That's kind of a little weird but not that bad." Kiara commented.

Alec smirked. "Ha! Not that bad! Their silence is basically a masquerade. They'll hold the soul sword to your head, and with its blade, carve the truth from your mind. That's what I meant when I said that you can die. If you're not strong enough, the sword will kill you."

Kiara visibly gulped. "I'll take my words back. That's bad. And really creepy. Those guys sound sort of like psychos to me now." She said.

"Kiara, you do not have to do this." Alec told her, putting a hand on her shoulder.

"But Clary..." Kiara started.

"Made her own choice." Alec interrupted. "It's going to be really painful, Kiara. And you've only just recovered. And not completely. You can make your own choice. It's not selfish. And for all we know, we will find the exact same thing in your memories that we do in Clary's. It'll be a waste, if that happens."

Kiara sighed.

"You have until the last minute to make your decision." He told her before they walked ahead.

Kiara nodded.

"You aren't as close to Simon as your sister is, are you?" Alec asked.

"No. I have to other best friends. Natasha and Vihaan." Kiara told him. "They are more to me than Simon is to Clary. And honestly, Simon and I have never seen eye to eye. Not even as kids."

Alec looked at her. "Really?"

"Really." Kiara nodded. "And what Jace said, about Simon dying as soon as he entered the City of Bones. Was he really serious?"

"He was." Alec nodded. "Without one of the Silent Brothers' personal  permission, no mundane can enter."

"This place is super creepy by the way." Kiara said told Alec as he motioned for her to start moving.

"I know. We've been standing here long enough. I suppose we should go a little ahead. They'll be back any minute." He told her.

Alec took out some sort of light because of the darkness.

"What's that?" Kiara asked.

"It's witchlight. We carry it to remind us that light can be found in even the darkest of places." He told her. "And it's cooler than a flashlight." He added.

He handed it to her. "That's to remind you that even you need to find your light in the dark shadow world." He told her, giving her a half smile as he motioned for her to walk forward.
______________________________________________
Do let me know what you think. Vote, comment, follow and share this story if you like it.

Do check out my other works. There's another mortal instruments fanfiction on my account.

Thanks!