On His Terms

Well, HI THERE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE? I'm wondering how you all are because I live a very disgraceful lifestyle. You know, no discipline to update and write and sleep and eat and just little things like that. Nothing life threatening, just...I graduated high school! Whoop whoop! It's not an enormous accomplishment but I'm glad to be done. Really glad.

ANYWHO, how about a new chapter? Eh? EH?!

Enjoy. :)

💛

Chapter 15: On His Terms

"Hold on, hold on. Dead? Like double dead? Or just dead?"

"Aaron."

"Because dead dead means six feet under or something normal like that. Dead means they're walking around somewhere trying to kill other survivors."

"Most likely the first one, possibly the second."

"What is that supposed to mean? You don't just declare that your parents are dead and then say, 'well, maybe not, Aaron, I just think so.'" He threw in a shrug for effect.

"I didn't say that. Most likely and possibly imply a majority. A lot of my belief is placed on those assumptions. Most likely they're 'double dead', and possibly dead and trying to kill survivors."

"Scarlett. With you, they aren't assumptions. Extremely reasonable guesses maybe, but not assumptions. Talk to me. Just talk, period."

"I have nothing to talk about."

"You and I both know that's not true. I'm asking you to tell me-"

"I'm telling you no."

Aaron turned away from me and started rifling through cabinets.

"Of course you are."

I could see the countertop being covered with vegetables and pasta boxes.

"Because confiding in me would be catastrophic."

Why do you have to be so stubborn? If he wants to know stuff about you, you should at least try to let him know that stuff!

Here we go.

I mean, really, it took you long enough to admit that you thought he was a rugged beauty, but now you don't even want to try and tell him about yourself?

I never wanted to tell him anything about myself. Whatever he knows is because I haven't managed to develop an off button for Victorian's mouth.

He's just asking you to talk to him.

I sighed and opened my mouth.

"My father was a Navy rear admiral and my mother was a cardiologist. Top of the line fields for a top of the line couple. No one could tell them Hell had finally frozen over if they didn't want to hear it."

Aaron chuckled.

"Especially my father. When I was recruited for the experiment, it was supposed to be something that I would have had control over. Being in the Marines meant I had managed to get out from under my parents' thumb for a second. Just for a second."

"Is that where your problem with authority comes from?"

I cocked an eyebrow at Aaron. What problem with authority?

"It's been made extremely clear, verbally or not, that you don't like to be commanded by anyone. Ever."

"You've known me all of less than seven days. You don't have an ounce of an idea as to what I have a problem with."