11

4 Nights Later:

A small gas station.  Lillie pulling her hat closer to her ears.  Me holding the door open for her.  Me teasing her that she's weak.  Laughter from both of us.  The tinkle of a bell.  The store manager asking what he can do for us.  Lillie holding out her bare hands.

"We need gloves, please," she says.  The manager nods and helps us to the back.  The tinkling of a bell.  The cold air from outside rolling in.  Me looking around to see who entered.  A glimpse of black hair, barely above the shelves of stuff.  A head appearing.  A freckled nose.  Brown eyes.

Lillie looking at gloves.  Her face full of excitement.  Shopping was her favorite thing.  Me pretending to look at gloves, but actually looking at the cute boy that just walked in.  My frozen heart as the boy makes his way towards me.  My heart starting to beat rapidly as he bumps past me.

"Excuse me," he says in a deep voice.  He moves past.  My heart calms.  My right hand.  A scrap of paper.  A number and name scribbled in legible hand writing.  A smile.

Pain as I open my eyes to a dark ceiling.  My alarm clock.  12:00 A.M.  The rustling of sheets.  The hallway.  A picture of a much smaller me.  The bathroom.  The reflection of a half burned, half healed fire victim with sad blue eyes.  Scars.  At least there's the brown hair.  Straight.  Elegant.  Beautiful.  Not as stringy and lifeless as a few weeks ago.

Water running through my fingers.  Funny faces in the mirror.  Laughter then sadness.  Memories of before the accident.  The turning of the faucet.  The hallway.  The picture.  The alarm clock.  The rustling of sheets.  The dark ceiling.