20

1 Day After:

"Adam!" I open the door in surprise.  He's hauling a huge box behind him and he's smiling from ear to ear.

"Mandy!  How are you?  Where's your mom?" he winks and puts the box down by the couch.  "I'd like to speak to both of you."

"Of course, come in.  Suzie's in her bedroom, I'll just go get her," I rush to Suzie's bedroom and knock on the door.  "Mother, Adam's here to see you."

Although the word 'mother' feels foreign on my tongue, I still like the idea that I have one.  The door opens and Suzie comes out in a red blouse and blue jeans.  It's the first time I've seen her in anything else than a red dress.  She gives me a hug before proceeding down the hallway and greeting Adam.

"Suzie!" he gives her a hug and I try to hide a smile.  "I brought you something."

Suzie shakes her head.  "You shouldn't have..."

"What is it?" I ask impatiently.  Since Adam came through the door, I've been dying to see what's in it.  Suzie shakes her head and finally bends down to open the box.  We both frown when we see another taped box beneath it.  My eyebrows wrinkle in confusion as Suzie keeps pulling box from box from box.  Soon there's nothing left but a small, two inch by two inch, box left.  Suzie glances at Adam and he just smiles.

"What is it?" Suzie asks.  I lean forward to get a better look.  Adam just smiles.

"I'm not giving any hints yet," he says.  I raise an eyebrow and rock back on my heels.

Suzie picks up the last box and opens it carefully.  Out of the corner of my eye, I see Adam get onto one knee and bring his hands up to hold hers.  Suzie's crying, of course, and I'm giggling.

"Suzie Gazala," he starts.  "Will you marry me?"