18: Part Three

Evening of the Same Day:

There's a soft knock on my bedroom door and I cautiously open it.  Katey stands in the hallway with a sheepish look on her face.

"I'm sorry to bother you," she starts, "but I couldn't help but notice that you never use your right arm.  Is it paralyzed?"

Paralyzed?  Is she joking?  I blush and start to pull up my right sleeve.  Once I get to the stub I look to the ground.  There's a small gasp from Katey and she shakes her head quickly.

"I'm sorry," she says.  "I didn't mean to pry... I'll..."

She turns to leave and before I can stop myself I call for her to wait.  She stands in the doorway, looking everywhere but at my arm.  I quickly roll down the sleeve.

"You can come in if you'd like," I say awkwardly.  I know she feels just as awkward.

She steps in and tries to hide the curiosity on her face, but I can tell that she's dying to see more.  I go over to my bed and sit there while she looks around.  For some reason I don't feel threatened when she picks up the artwork I've left scattered on the desk top.

"Did you draw these?" she asks.  She holds up the drawing of the woman and me and looks over with big eyes.  "This is so good!"

"I drew them," I reply.  "But don't ask me to do more because I can't.  I can't even write with my left arm, how am I supposed to draw with it?"

She studies me before she puts the drawing down.  "You know, Mandy, I think you could draw again if you let yourself be more positive."

"What do you mean?" I ask.  "I'm being positive.  I haven't been as depressed as the doctors thought I would be."

"I'm not talking about depression," she giggles.  I giggle too, because, like Adam, she has an infectious laugh.  "I'm talking about finding the positive in life.  Do you know that one quote?  I think it goes like this: 'When life hands you lemons, make lemonade'."

"Yeah, I know it."

"Do you know what it means?" she asks.  I nod.

"Of course."

"What then?" she smiles smugly.  It reminds me of the younger sister...

"When you have hard times, make them into good times?"

She giggles and nods.  "Exactly!  I think you should do that.  Instead of focusing on what you can't do, start focusing on what you might be able to do in the future.  If you practice hard enough, you might be able to get drawing down again.  And, if you did, you could definitely get a scholarship for it!"

I start processing the information she's just given me and smile.  "I guess I could," I say hesitantly.  She's still smiling at me when I turn to her.  "Could you help?  You know, give me motivation?  I could give you my number, if you want."

"Of course," she takes out her cell phone and waits for me to get mine out.  With much difficulty, I finally find my number and give it to her.  And suddenly, I don't feel as bad as I have this whole month.  It's like a burden was lifted from my shoulders and stacked on Katey's.

"Thank you," I say.  She smiles again and hops up from the bed.

"I have to go, but I'll call you tomorrow, okay?" she smiles again and leaves the room.  I look after her and frown.  Why is she willing to help me?  After all, I'm not the brightest person to be around anymore.

I contemplate for a few more seconds before I turn off the lights and hop under the blankets.  One thing is for sure:  Katey is a definite friend.