18: Part One

1 Day After:

"So," I start.  The woman looks at me expectantly.  "Are you going to work?"

She nods affirmatively and rushes to get her purse ready.  She hesitates before turning to me and giving me a half hug.

"I love you Mandy," she whispers before kissing me on the forehead.  I fight the urge to back up.

"Can I wonder around town, you know, just familiarize myself again?" I ask.  The look she gives me screams no, but she nods her head.

"Be careful, okay?"

"Of course," I say.  She gives me another look, but this time it seems sadder.  I realize that I must have said the same words before the accident happened.  I almost feel regret.

"Be back by six.  We're going to have dinner with Adam and his girls."  There's a flash of red and she's out the door.

I raise an eyebrow and turn down the hallway.  I have to have something in my wardrobe that isn't red.  And I do.  It turns out that I have a lot of things that aren't red.  Among the list is an over sized, gray hoodie and some blue shorts.  I slip them on and step into the hallway.  I catch a glimpse of my hair and am repulsed.  Does it really look that bad?

After a thorough brushing, I make my way to the living room.  Holding the handle of the front door I let out a sigh.  Do I really want to familiarize myself?  What if it brings back painful memories?  Isn't that what I want though?  The memories?