Epilogue

4 Years Later:

 I watch patiently as my Little Francis climbs up a fake, plastic step of the playground.  Her small feet are no match for the big steps, and she ends up falling to the ground.  Seeing that she hasn't gotten hurt, I keep my distance and let her figure things out for herself.

On the other hand, Mike, my husband, rushes forward and  helps her onto each and every step, making sure she understands how to climb them.  It's a wonder how I've gotten this far with everything that's happened in the past years.

For instance, my mother got married to Adam a few years ago and now Katey and her sister, Kelly, are my sisters-in-law.  It makes Katey even more special to me.  After the marriage, I decided that I would like to try going back to school.  That's where I met Mike and also won awards for my drawings.  Although, my drawings never turned out the same as before the accident.

Now, Mike and I had a small two-year-old and were expecting another baby in October.  I'm really happy, but there are times when I feel the guilt and anguish that comes along with the accident.  Times when I have to grip my pillow so hard to keep from screaming from the nightmares.

Mike's eyes connect with mine and I get up from the bench to join them.  I can't ask for anything else:  I have a family who loves me, I can draw almost as good as before the accident, and my mother is happy with her new family.  What else can I want?

As I make my way up the steps, I can feel a tug on my heart.  I know what I want.  But Riley's never coming back, so I must move forward and live while I can.  Mike grasps my hand and pulls me up to be with them.  He hugs me and pulls away to smile sadly at me.  He knows about the accident and how it still haunts me.  And that he won't be enough to quench the guilt and pain that I feel.  I smile back and take my Little Francis' hand.

"Come on," I say.  "Let's go play."