Deleted Scene: no one's as innocent as could be

Local Train to NERV Station
Two days prior

"So here's a puzzle for you --"

Vice-Commander Kozo Fuyutski sighed and lowered his newspaper, his eyes narrowed. "Really, Doctor?"

"Say you've got this internationally-respected professor of biology." The Doctor flopped down into the seat next to Fuyutski. "Absolutely brilliant. Leading mind in his field. Short-listed for the Nobel multiple times. So naturally, the UN calls him in to investigate the disaster that killed three billion people. But just a decade later, he's neck-deep in an organization that's actively seeking to end the world. How you figure that one, eh?"

"There's three security agents in this train car, you know." Fuyutski raised the newspaper again. "I could just have you thrown off."

"Five, actually. And I'll take my chances."

Fuyutski rolled his eyes. "Don't you have better things to do than harass old men on trains?"

"Dunno if you heard, but I'm no spring chicken myself," the Doctor said. "Besides, where else would I get the chance to talk to the author of the famous Fuyutski Report?"

"So you found out about that," the vice-commander snapped. "If you've got the report, what do you need me for?"

"Because the only copy I can find's got so many redactions, it looks like a painting of a zebra. And because the report itself wouldn't answer my question." The Doctor leaned forward. "So tell me, Professor -- what's a man of science doing preparing for the end times?"

Fuyutski snorted. "And why would I tell you anything? You didn't make the best first impression on me. Unless we're talking about the one you left on my jaw."

"Oh, I'm perfectly willing to apologize." The Doctor raised his eyebrows. "Just convince me you didn't deserve it."

"When did I say I didn't?" Enough of this, Fuyutski thought. The easiest way out of this was to simply move to another car. The security detail would keep him from being followed. He folded his newspaper and got to his feet. "Find your own answers, Doctor. I have none you'd find satisfying in any case."

On his way out of the car, however, he found himself hesitating. "Though... I suppose I do owe you my thanks for one thing."

"What's that?"

"For taking care of Shinji," Fuyutski said. "For helping him in ways that Ikari and I can't."

"Now that's interesting." The Doctor narrowed his eyes. "That's proper interesting. Why would you care about Shinji? After everything you and your boss've put him through --"

"Because I made a promise a long time ago." Fuyutski looked away. "One that I won't be able to keep. There's a kind of hell that should be exclusive to the old, I think. To hear the ticking of the clock, know exactly how fast your time is running out -- and realize just how much you'll likely leave unfinished."

"All the more reason to get started on things while you can, I'd say," the Doctor said quietly.

Fuyutski gave him a wan smile. "If only."

He turned and left the car. He could feel the Doctor's eyes studying him every step of the way.