A Kiss

Subaru's POV

"Yes, our dear Subaru cares for you, but it's more complex than that. He loves Yui. He just wants your blood."

"He doesn't want you. He wants her."

Those were the words that Natsumi heard before she'd gone blank. When I say blank I mean everything. Her temperature dropped....her eyes turned pure white. Her face went void of all emotion; it was almost as if her soul had just....slipped out. Like the stupid Mukami's words had killed her. I wanted so badly to wake her up. To embrace her, and to tell her I was sorry over and over again until my throat was raw from speaking. To tell the truth, that the stupid blonde Mukami was a liar, and that I loved her more than I'd ever loved Yui. Almost more than I'd loved my own mother, and that was a lot. But no matter what I did she wouldn't stir from this slumber she was in.

As I sat by her bed, gazing at her pale face, I heard Yui enter the room. I knew it was Yui, because Yui was the only one who came every day. Reiji came every other day, to test her progress in her coma(which usually just pulled inconclusive results), and the others would come by once in a while. Well, Shu came and sat here when I would get up. Which was almost never. Her chest rose and fell gently, too gently almost, as if she was barely breathing. It was kind of like she was just sleeping.

"Still not awake,"Yui murmured to herself. She sat herself on the chair across from me, finding herself in Ayato's lap suddenly. "Wha-Ayato!" He wrapped his arm around her waist and held her still.

"Still here, little brother?"Ayato asked. I stayed silent. He sighed. "Have you tried everything?"

"Screaming. Shaking her. Tickling, poking, prodding,"I spoke, my voice rising. "Everything. She hasn't moved or even scrunched her face up. I don't know what to do." I sounded desperate. My hand reached out and I grabbed hers, pulling it towards me. I rested my forehead on her hand. At this point I didn't care that Ayato and Yui were giving me looks of pity, and sadness. I just wanted Natsumi back.

"Touching her while she's asleep,"a voice spoke. My eyes focused on Shu, standing and leaning against a wall. Yui and Ayato disappeared. I glared at Shu. "Relax. That whole Mukami thing woke me up. Opened my eyes to the fact that she'll never get over you." I stopped glaring. He sighed. "I can't imagine how you must be feeling anyways. What I had was a mere infatuation, with you it's bringing you to your knees." I returned my gaze to the unresponsive Natsumi and stayed silent.

"I figured it out,"a voice said. I looked and saw Reiji. My eyes widened. "We need to turn her." I froze. Turn her? "Her human half had too much shock done to it. She must not have had a very strong mother, this her blood, if it was just human, would be weak. If she hadn't inherited the demonic traits from whoever her father was, she'd have been dead a long time ago."

"So will that kill Kitten's demonic half if we turn her?"another voice asked. Laito.

"Her powers will remain, but essentially yes. Subaru I'm leaving it up to you. If you can stand to watch her die..."Reiji trailed off. I glared at him. "Move aside. I need to get a piece of her." I moved and he plucked a hair from her head and dropped it into a vile he was holding. "Who wants to sire her?" We all stared at him.

"Sire?"Laito repeated.

"Yes. This method of transformation requires a piece of a pure blood in the mixture. Which means technically whoever's I use will claim all rights to her,"Reiji responded. I immediately sat up straighter.

"I'll do it,"I told him. He gave me a surprised look before pulling a hair from my head. "Ow Dammit!" He rolled his eyes and dropped it in, shaking the vile. He passed it to me.