18. Bittersweet - Part III

After 3 days

Zubiya walked down the stairs wearing an elegant black velvet salwar-kameez with silver intricate works embroidered on it and only a pair of silver kundan jhumkas, gifted by Asfand and her engagement ring as her only jewelry. A pair of silver stiletto shoes completed her get up.. She had got her make up done by Gaiti bhabi, and after a lot of coercion from Gaiti bhabi, she had decided to put her hair down.

Asfand gazed as Zubiya carefully walked down the stairs - mesmerized, by her beauty and sheer simplicity. It was her simplicity which made her stand out to him.. not in a bad way. Oh, definitely not in a bad way. It potrayed her inner beauty and the outer as well. She didn't have to highlight it out by wearing heavy make-up. And that is what he loved about his Zubiya the most. His Zubiya. His mouth turned up in a soft smile as he spelled it out in his head - His Zubiya. Butterflies erupted as he thought about it.

But it vanished quickly as it came when he remembered what he saw just a few nights back.

Zubiya noticed Asfand sitting on the sofa watching television and directly headed towards him.

"How do I look?" Zubiya asked once she stood in front of him. "Have I gone a bit overboard?"

Asfand cleared his throat and averted his eyes to the TV screen as he answered nonchalantly, "You're looking good.. What's the occasion?"

Zubiya looked at Asfand confusedly and asked back, "Sirf achi?"

"What else do you want me to say? You look good and that's what I said."

"No, it's just.. Um.. Today is one of my colleague's daughter's third birthday. I have been invited to the party."

"Will it get too late for you to return like the other night?"

"No.. don't worry about it.. He told everyone not to worry about travel modes. He said he will take care of it all." Zubiya said, as she tried to straighten her dupatta which had got ruffled. She missed the dark look that crossed Asfand's face.

Asfand cleared his throat and asked carefully, "Is your colleague male?"

"Yes! Didn't I tell you that in my batch it's only me and two other girls. And the rest are male colleagues?" Zubiya confused asked as she finally looked up.

"Yes- yes.. You had mentioned it once.." Asfand stammered and quickly changed the topic, "Are you sure that I don't need to pick you up?"

"Yes. I'm sure." Zubiya said as she lightly rolled her eyes at him, making Asfand chuckle. Asfand stood and with a smirk on his face made his way towards where she stood. His eyes glistened with nothing but mischief and  another unknown feeling.. passion?

"By the way, you are looking very beautiful.." Asfand said as he caressed Zubiya's cheek with his thumb- which soon turned rosy pink as she looked down shyly.

He stood very close to her, so close that she could almost feel the warmth emanating from his body. Her breath hitched as Asfand brought his mouth close to her ear as he spoke, "Can't it be possible that you go with me somewhere in this beautiful rainy season and spend some alone time with me instead of attending the party?"

"Asfand.." Zubiya whispered, breathless as lips touched the tip of her ear. "Asfand, please - someone will see us.."

"I don't care if anyone sees us.. I don't fear anyone. Anways, it's just a few months' matter and then we will be married." Asfand said smugly as he shifted back enough to look at her expression.

Before Zubiya could get back at him with her sarcastic comeback back they heard Lubna aunty's voice, "Zubiya, don't forget to call once you reach your colleague's house and if you the car to return, then please call Asfi and let him know immediately. Okay?"