24. Pal (Moments)

AN: Okay. So, the next chapter is here!

**************************************

Asfand sighed in relief as he entered his room but was disappointed to not find Zubiya inside.

As he removed his watch and kept it on the dressing table, he found a folded sheet over it with his name written atop in red.

He unfolded the paper quickly and found it was a message to him from his wife.

Meet me at the terrace at 12.
~Zubiya

At 12? What is she doing up there at this time? He looked up at the clock and realized only 20 minutes were remaining before it struck 12. 20-minutes were enough for him to change out of his scrubs and take a shower.

He quickly grabbed a fresh set of black kurta-shalwar and headed to the shower.

**************************************

As he climbed up the staircase he noticed the golden lantern hanging at the entrance.

It wasn't there before.

He slowed down his pace, not sure what he was going to find up there. Curious, to what Zubiya has been up to he climbed the rest of the stairs quickly but stopped short as soon as he reached the top.

He smiled softly at the vision in front of him.

Zubiya was asleep on the mattress that was laid at the centre, with just his brown shawl wrapped around her shoulders.

How on earth did she even get this mattress up here?

As he walked towards her he noticed that there was another lantern hanging just above the mattress and a couple of other strings wrapped with fairy lights hanging from it which was attached to the top shade above them.

She definitely had help.

Zubiya looked so ethereal with all the soft golden glow surrounding her.. she almost seemed as if she was an out-of-the-world goddess.

To his amazement he noticed photos clicked in polaroid camera hanging from the white strings.

His smile spread wilde as he read the caption below them. When Everything started; Engagement; Dating; Wedding; Turmeric function; Reception; First Anniversary -

"You just ruined my entire surprise! Do you realize how much trouble it has taken me to prepare all of this?" Zubiya softly asked as she slowly sat up from her reclined position.

"But who told you to take so much trouble to do all of this? And surprise? What surprise? It's not even my birthday today." Asfand asked her as he continued to look at the photos. He chuckled when he saw some really funny ones like the one where he was holding little Muskaan. But he was grimacing at the camera as Muskaan had just peed on him for the very first time.

"It's not necessary to give give surprises to your loved ones only on their birthdays or special events. It can be given at any time." Zubiya stated to him.

"Really?" Asfand asked raising his eyebrows at her.

"Yes. Now, get down here. Next to me." Zubiya said as she pulled Asfand by his right hand.

"Alright, my lady. As you wish." Asfand said as he sat down next to her and wrapped his arm around her.

"Okay- okay. Enough. No more attitudes, please. Now, tell me this. How did you like my decorations?" Zubiya asked as she looked up at him expectantly.