Chapter 5

Adrian

I picked up Riot for the third time since we arrived at the park

I picked up Riot for the third time since we arrived at the park. Gosh this freaking thing won't stop running away. I quickly reconnected the leash to his collar before placing him back on the ground. He was starting to become a professional at escaping from the leash and it was already annoying me. I glanced around the park, looking at all of the other dogs and parents who were with their kids. No sign of Naomi. She was supposed to be here ten minutes ago!

As I walked through the park, I spotted a snow cone stand that was selling snow cones for one dollar. A dollar? Well, I don't mind if I do. "Let's go, Ri. We're going to go get snow cones," I waited for the line to go down before I walked over to the stand. There was a short blonde haired man that was standing behind it, organizing the items behind he stand. As I got closer, I began to recognize his face. "Josh?" I raised an eyebrow. He immediately looked up from what he was doing.

I began to notice that his face was starting to turn red as if he was a tomato. Why the heck is this kid always blushing? "M-Mr. Hafler...hi," Josh looked down again, biting his bottom lip. "What are you doing here?"

"Meeting up with my sister-in-law. What about you?" I glanced over the stand. There was a large snow cone machine sitting on top with cups and bottles of flavored syrup next to it. "Are you working?"

"Uh yeah!" he cleared his throat, standing up straight. There's no way he's working at a snow cone stand; he works for me. Do I not pay him well enough? I guess he read my mind because a small frowned formed on his face before he muttered, "it's nothing that has to do with you. My uncle owns this snow cone stand so I help him run it sometimes."

"Oh that's cool!" I grinned. How sweet of him... "well I guess since I'm here, I'll give you guys some business. One blue raspberry snow cone please," I shrugged and bent down to Riot's level. He was running around my legs excitedly as he spotted another dog. I unwinded his leash from around me before picking him up again. Soon enough, Josh was done making the snow cone with a smile on his face.

"There you go Mr. Hafler," he said, giving me the treat. I grabbed it, making sure to brush our hands together to tease him a bit. His eyes widened before his face started to turn red again. I stifled a laugh as I pulled my wallet out of my pocket. Ten, five, twenty, fifty, one hundred. Lots of bills, but no singles. I shrugged and took the ten out of my pocket, handing it to Josh who eyed my wallet before looking away in embarrassment. I began to walk away before I heard my name being called. I turned around to see the Josh trying to hand me my change. "You forgot this!"

"I know. Keep it as a tip," I winked, walking away from the stand. Josh blinked and nodded, turning back to his stand where there were a few impatient looking costumers. I chuckled at his embarrassment before continuing to walk back towards the main area of the park. I felt my phone vibrate as I was walking so I pulled it out to check it.