Chapter 9

Luna

"This is gonna be fun!" Anna smiles at me as I pull down the sleeves of my sweater. I shrug at her and grab my phone from the charger. Anna grabs ahold of my shoulders and shakes them a bit. "You need to loosen up. You can't be boring your whole life."

"I think I'm perfectly fine," I pout. "I'm not boring."

"All you do is read."

"I like reading! It's fun!" I defend as we exit the hotel room. We make our way toward the elevator and ride it down to the lobby. Anna leads me to, what I assume is, our Uber and we get inside. It isn't long before we're arriving in front of a loud place with a long line of people standing outside of the door. Anna drags me over to the line and we wait for a while before we're actually let in. "No drinking," I say as we walk inside. I look around at the amount of people dancing, most of them drunk and falling over.

"What's the fun in that?" Anna asks as she pull me over to the bar. "Loosen up a bit, Luna. Tonight is supposed to be fun."

"Can't it be fun without alcohol?" I mumble to myself as I watch her talk to the bartender. It isn't long before he hands her two clear drinks. She hands me one as she gulps down the other one. "Anna, you know I don't drink alcohol."

"Just taste it," Anna rolls her eyes. "It's good I promise."

I place my lips on the glass and take a small sip, immediately tasting the bitterness of the drink. Anna giggles and watches my face twist up in disgust. "It's gross!" I whine, feeling the slight burning sensation in my chest.

"You get used to it," she shrugs and orders another drink. The bartender hands her a glass that is this time filled with a deep red liquid.

"I don't want anymore," I shake my head and place the glass on the bar. Anna quickly grabs it and chugs it down. "What is that anyway?"

"That was vodka," she tells me and sips her new drink. She holds up the glass. "This one is a Bloody Mary. Taste it."

Stupidly, I take a small sip of her drink. Almost immediately, I spit it out into a napkin due to the horrible taste. "Anna! How can you drink this stuff?"

"I like it," she shrugs again. "Like I said, you get used to it."

"I'd rather not," I take a seat at the bar.

"Why are you sitting? It's time to dance!" She says to me, flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder.

"I'll meet you over there," I say and give her a small smile. She kisses my cheek and walks away. I sigh as I lose her into the crowd of sweaty people. As I'm watching the crowd, I feel a presence near me. I look up to see that a couple was standing next to me, doing inappropriate things to each other. "May I have a water?" I ask the bartender.

"Sparkling or regular?" he responds as he reaches for a fresh glass.

"Sparkling, please," I smile politely. He hands me a glass of sparkling water and I immediately take a large gulp of it.

A couple of hours later, I'm still sitting in the same spot at the bar. Except now, there are two couples sitting next to me and I'm on my seventh glass of sparkling water. It's been a while since I last spotted Anna. The last time I'd seen her, she was making out with random man near the back of the dance floor. I groan as I feel my bladder getting smaller and smaller. With a sigh, I stand from my stool and head down to the bathroom. I enter the men's room and immediately hear loud grunting and moaning.

"Oh, Steve," I hear a woman's voice say from one of the stalls as I use the restroom. My eyes widen and I quickly wash my hands, trying to leave as fast as possible. As soon as I'm back in my seat at the bar, I pull out my phone to see a text on the screen.