Chapter 4: The beat to his heart...the awakening!

Philip Harrington vs. Troy 'Travis' Stanton

Pix: Troy fast asleep with Jer the cat

Video: Baby I'm Amazed By You by Lonestar

Enjoy!

***

In the conference room the next evening, a serious meeting was taking place. The topic on board was Troy. Present were Philip, Jeremy, Joel, Stan, Paige, Ryan, and Deloris. The meeting had been called by the Alpha of Alphas.

"I'm saying he's a ticking time bomb." Jeremy said quietly. "He can shift at any time...which is good. We just need to keep an eye on him. I had to explain to him that he wasn't sick."

"That poor child." Deloris murmured. "He must be so confused right now."

"Not just confused." Philip rasped. "He's in pain." He stood and began to pace. The werewolves in the room knew how a first shift felt like. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

"My problem is that," Jeremy went on, "I think mum is trying to suppress the shift because she thinks Troy is not ready."

"What?" Philip gasped.

"What makes you say that?" Joel asked.

"You all know Philip and I had to attend an alpha's meeting today." Jeremy glanced at the faces around the table. "We've been away from the pack house the whole day. But because of what I noticed during my outing with Troy yesterday, I made it a point to call and check up on him the least chance I got. Each time I called, mum told me he was sleeping."

"That's because Mama Cora gave her some sleeping potion to give to him." Joel explained. "She wouldn't try to suppress a shift. It's already long overdue as it is."

"She told me this evening that she was going to suppress the shit for now if that was what she had to do to make Troy comfortable, Uncle Jo." Jeremy said quietly. "She said she needs to prepare him no matter how long it takes. And you know how she is when she gets emotional. She wasn't ready to listen to anything I had to say. And that's why I called this meeting. I don't think that's right."

"Oh, boy." Joel muttered.

"Jeremy put yourself in her shoes." Deloris said softly. "It's only natural for her to..."

"But that doesn't make it right, Deloris." Jeremy said firmly. "I spent the day with him yesterday. I saw how much he hated that restlessness. How about getting it out of the way once and for all? Huh? When has any pup's shift been postponed to spare them the pain or prepare them? Troy is not a pup. He's twenty-one. The earlier he goes through premier, the quicker he can adjust to it. Think about it."

Jeremy's day with Troy had been fun. He'd given him a thorough tour. The pack was an entire community with acres of land and forestry surrounding them. Troy had been so amazed and impressed with everything he'd seen. They'd had lunch in one of the restaurants and even visited one of their recreational parks. Troy had looked like a kid on Christmas. The last place they'd visited was the woods where the pack usually went wild and free whenever their wolves took over. Jeremy wanted to show his brother their special trail as they used to call it before Troy and their father was taken away from them. It was when they got to the trail that he'd begun to see the telltale signs. Jeremy knew the signs of a premier-shift as they called a werewolf's first shift from human to wolf form. As he watched his brother grow restless and agitated, he just knew.

*

"Dude, you okay?" Jeremy asked a furiously perspiring Troy with a frown.

"Sure." Troy murmured as he pulled off his soaked t-shirt and began to wipe himself. "Just feeling warm. Must be the weather."