Chapter 7

The next morning, Hermione woke bright and early. After getting dressed, she headed down to the Great Hall and peered around at the Gryffindor table. She smiled when she saw Oliver sitting with the twins and a boy she'd heard called Lee Jordan.

"Good morning," she said as she walked over to join them.

"Ah, good morning, lass," Oliver said, turning to look at her with a smile. He reached out and hooked an arm around her waist, drawing her forward along the table as he moved back to make room for her between himself and Lee. "And how did you sleep?"

"Well, thank you," Hermione said as she stepped over the bench and sat down.

"Uh," Lee said, glancing at Oliver and Hermione and then the twin's who were looking at Oliver with grins of anticipation. "What's going on, Oliver?"

"Yeah, Ollie," the twins said, leaning in closer. "What's going on?"

"What - Oh," Oliver said, and blinked as realisation dawned on him. "Guys, this is Hermione. Hermione, this is Lee Jordan, and I'm sure you know the Weasley twins, Fred and George."

"Hello," Hermione said, smiling though her expression revealed her uncertainty.

"Um, Oliver," Lee said. "That wasn't exactly what I meant."

"Didn' I tell you?" Oliver asked. "I invited her to sit with me," he paused and glanced over at Fred and George. "Whenever your brother's being a jerk."

Hermione flushed, feeling rather small when Oliver put his hand on her shoulder.

Lee eyeballed Oliver's hand resting protectively — or possessively — on the girl's shoulder before glancing back at him. "Ollie, that's not what I mean," he said, and sighed, rolling his eyes when Oliver looked at him blankly. "Come on, man," he said. "She's a first year!" He paused and looked at her before adding, "seriously, no offence."

"No," Hermione said quietly, lowering her eyes. "Of course not."

Oliver groaned. "That's not how it is at all," he said, as realisation hit him like a ton of bricks. "Look, Hermione here is my friend. She's having a hard time with their brother," he said, nodding toward the twins. "I didn't want her to have to endure his idiocy and be a loner. You know what it was like first coming to Hogwarts, don't you? Remember how long it took me to make friends? Get your mind outta the gutter, Jordan, for all intents and purposes, she's like my little sister! Treat her with respect!"

Hermione blinked in surprise, looking up at Oliver and then to the twins and Lee, who she saw had the decency to look admonished.

"Oh, um," Lee stammered. "Sorry."

"Yeah," George said.

"Our little brother has anger management issues," Fred said.

"Totally," George replied.

"Do you think it's because of all the times we pranked him?" Fred asked, looking at George.

"Naw," George replied. "Although it might be because everyone always told him mum and dad wanted a girl..."

Hermione laughed, covering her mouth when she glanced toward the door as it opened and saw Harry and Ron enter the Great Hall.

"Anyway," Fred said, drawing her attention.

"Welcome to this end of the table," he harmonised with his twin.

"Thank you," Hermione replied, smiling at all of them as she reached for a plate and began filling it and tucking in to eat, the tension suddenly broken. "Oh, Oliver?" she asked once she was nearly finished.