Two

"After all these years, I still feel everything when you are near-"

O N W A R D S;

t i c k
t i c k
t i c k
damn.

Caleb slammed his fists on the table and leaned his head back in frustration at sound the clock didn't seem to stop making. His hands were itching to pick up his keys and fly down to St. Paul's Hospital but he knew that was not rational and whatever he had heard from Adrian a few days ago was not his business, not anymore.

Caleb turned his attention back to his work and covered himself in paperwork. Over the course of the days after his encounter he'd had moments of relapse where he was so close to going to her but his better judgement managed to convince him every time, otherwise. He shook his head at his incessant thoughts of her and forced himself to work harder.

He stayed even longer hours at the office and began to drink too much. He was losing it.

Slowly but surely.

His friend James sat across from him at the cafe table and peered at him curiously, "Caleb, you okay?"
Caleb waved his hand dismissing him, "Yes, yes fine."
James narrowed his eyes, he could smell the alcohol, "Caleb, you've been drinking."

Caleb kept his gaze away from his friend, "Leave me alone James."
"You usually don't drink when you're working..."
Suddenly Caleb pulled out a cigarette and James looked flabbergasted. In truth, smoking was a nasty habit he had picked up as a coping mechanism after she had left him but as of two years ago he'd quit but now with everything he couldn't help himself.

"No, you're not okay!" James reached to snatch it away.
Caleb let out a cold laugh and lit it, "I'm great."
James shook his head and Caleb knew he could see straight through him. James had been the only other person that knew why he smoked- or more importantly, who caused it.

"It's her, isn't it?" James asked.
Caleb shook his head, "I don't know what.."
"Shut the hell up man! And tell me if you saw her, if she's back?"
Caleb's eyes suddenly felt glassy as he nodded silently.
James drew a breath, "Shit, look man, I know it's tough but...."

Caleb didn't know what had come over him but he just spat it out, just to get it off his chest, "She has amnesia."

"Wait, she's in the hospital... how do you know all of this?"

Caleb explained how her brother had paid him a visit and explained her condition.
James leaned back clearly in shock, "You have to go see her"
Caleb suddenly did a double take, "What?"
James shook his head, "You heard me."
"This is your second chance, your chance to find out the truth, and finally get closure."

Caleb was about to rebut but James stopped him, "I'm not saying you just forgive her but do this for you so you can finally move on."
"I have moved on." Caleb muttered bitterly.
James gave him a dry laugh, "You're kidding me right?"
"You're a goddam mess! One word of her and you've gone back to your tendencies from years ago and how many days had it been, five?"

Caleb looked away knowing fully well, James was right. He needed to get this sorted out, he just hoped he could see her without wanting to punch a wall.

~*~

St. Paul's Hospital was an hour away without traffic from Manhattan New York and right now waiting in the never ending line of cars Caleb was anxious. He had dressed particularly casual today sporting a blue polo that clung to his body spectacularly. He drummed his fingertips on the steering wheel in anticipation of what today would bring him- Hopefully it will bring him relief; anything to finally shake his soul of her.