Thirty Four

"It all comes crashing down"

O N W A R D S;

Caleb sat at the dining room table with Georgia on the seat beside him with the same determined look on her face. They had gone through some more documents in the hopes of finding anything that could give them another lead that could help them solve whatever was going on because Caleb had reason to believe something big had happened all those years ago with both him and Georgia caught in the middle.

Suddenly Georgia sucked in a breath, "Caleb! We need to go to my apartment."
Caleb turned his attention to her as she immediately stood up, "Your apartment, why?" He paused, "What do you remember?" His leg was bouncing up and down in anticipation.
"There's.... um.... I had a box with documents.... I... uh— it should still be at my house. We need to get it. I was gathering information.... " she trailed off.
"Information? On what?" He asked standing up as well.

"I think it was on your company and Kingsley."
Caleb's eyebrows raised, "My company?"
She nodded grabbing his keys and shaking it in her hand, "C'mon we have to go!"
Caleb was slightly perplexed but followed her out the door anyway. As they drove Caleb looked across to find Georgia biting down on her lip and shaking her leg uncontrollably.
"Hey you know it'll be okay, right?" He asked.

She gave him a small smile before nodded her head, "Yeah, but I just want to remember everything."
"You think seeing it will help"
She nodded, "It has too."
Caleb pulled up in front of her house that had been cleared from investigation a few days ago and was now locked up tightly. Georgia was jiggling the keys in her hand as she opened the door and headed straight for her study. Caleb was hot on her heels as she knelt down by the bookcase and pulled out a bunch of books and behind it was a box.

Grabbing it he watched as Georgia ripped the lid off and grabbed a piece of paper running her eyes over the words.
"Caleb, I remember."
Caleb's eyes widened, "What exactly do you remember?"
He saw her visibly gulp, "I remember everything."
He was about to say something else before the door was pushed open making them both jump.

"You made a mistake leaving the door open." Sloan smirked.
He was tall and lean with scruffy dark hair and almond shaped dark eyes. He had let his beard grow rampantly and looked as if he'd hardly been sleeping within the last few days.
"What are you doing here!" Georgia spoke up.
The man shrugged, "I was tailing your car."
"Why?" Georgia spoke up again.
Caleb had a protective arm in front her trying quietly to keep her behind him but she was refusing.

Sloan laughed, "You know why Georgia, or else you wouldn't have come back here."
"Fuck you!" She spat out.
Sloan laughed again turning his attention to Caleb, "She tell you yet?" Sloan asked.
Caleb gritted his teeth, not wanting to say a word he heard Sloan hum, "seems as though I came just in time then."
Sloan smiled, but the smile seemed wicked and sinister, "You're lucky you kept your mouth shut Georgia or you and Mr. Hearst over here would have to die."

Caleb suddenly stiffened as Sloan reached into his back pocket and took out a small hand gun.
"What do you want? Money? I'll give you money, anything." Caleb tried to negotiate, "Just let us walk away."
Sloan only shook his head, "My employer would have my head if I let her away with those documents."
His employer? Kingsley.

"What's Kingsley paying you, I'll pay you five times more!"
Sloan shrugged, "All negotiations are off the table. I just want what I came here for. The box and her life."
He felt Georgia stiffen beside him, he needed to call the police; slowly sticking his hand into his pocket who attempted to unlock his phone and dial 911 from the inside of the pocket fabric.
"Get your hand out of your pocket now Hearst or I'll shoot !" Sloan demanded cocking the gun at Caleb.

Caleb pressed call before slowly lifting his empty hand and showing it to Sloan.
"Move away from Georgia."
"Like hell!" Caleb spat.
"Caleb..." Georgia pleaded, "Do as he says."
Caleb turned to her bewildered, "I am not leaving your side!"
Georgia had unshed tears in her eyes, "He'll kill you and I can't have you dying because of me."

"Georgia why does he want to kill you? Why does Kingsley want you dead?"
Georgia hung her head, "Watch your next words Georgia or both of you die!"
He saw her gulp and wipe her eyes, "Kingsley was stealing money from your father." She whispered softly so only Caleb could hear.
Caleb didn't react but looked back to Sloan who had a menacing look on his face.

Caleb had hoped the the police had heard all the commotion from the speakers and were tracking his phone but with lack of sirens Caleb could only hope to stall some more.
"Kick the box over to me." Sloan demanded.
When nobody moved Sloan scowled, "Box now and Caleb move!" He demanded.
"I'm not leaving so I'd rather you tell me what's going on and then kill us both."

Georgia shrieked, "No, don't you dare! Don't tell him anything just take me, okay. Leave Caleb alone."
Sloan shook his head, "See that was your problem Georgia always wanting to do everything by yourself. And you'll get yourself killed because of it."
"Go to hell Sloan!"
"I'll see you there," He smirked.
Sloan turned his attention to Caleb and Caleb scowled menacingly at him, "Georgia's going to leave you for the second time Caleb, but this time it's permanently."

Caleb made a rash decision on stepped in front of her completely covering his body with hers.
"Georgia tell me why you left?" He demanded.
"Georgia if you open your—"
"Tell me!" Caleb shouted still completely blocking her from the gun.
"He'll hurt if I...."
He cut her off, "I deserve to know."
He heard her sigh, "Your father had sent Kingsley to find you in Greece but instead he found me and soon he realized that I was the reason you weren't coming back and sort to make a deal with me."

"$500,000 if I left you." Caleb nodded in understanding the check......
"But I refused the money so he threatened me. He said he'd hurt you and my family if I didn't cooperate."
"Georgia, you're going to cost Caleb his life if you—"
"Don't listen to him, keep talking....."
"I wasn't going to let get anyone hurt so he planned a meeting but before he met with me he'd had a previous meeting and I managed to see some of the documents  he left laying around and I realized he was stealing money from your father. So, I took the documents and ran leaving the check. I should have come to that day but I got scared he'd hurt you."

"I left Greece that day."
Caleb's breathing hitched, "But when I arrived home I tried to keep searching for more evidence to incriminate Kingsley and come back to you and explain everything but I got pregnant, lost the baby and then Kingsley came to visit me, it hadn't occurred to me that he knew where I lived but he did."

"He told me he knew what I had done, what I had taken and he wanted me to drop it or he'd hurt you and take everything away from you and your family. I stopped searching for awhile after I lost Anthony but then I saw you. On the news, and I decided that I needed to start looking again and that was when I was with him. Kingsley had paid him to get close to me to find out if I was still trying to collected evidence against him."

"He found out what I was doing one night and he hurt me and told me to stop or he'd kill me and that's when I ran to my parents for help— and the night I got into the car accident a few months after it was Sloan who ran me off the road!"

"Is all the evidence in this box?"
"Yes." She whispered softly to him.
"You should have shut the fuck up Georgia. You just cost both of you your lives."
"I'm so sorry Casanova, I love you, you know."
"Loved you since the first time you came to see me in the hospital."
But before Caleb could reply two shots rang through the house. One of which made the girl next to him fall to the floor and suddenly before Caleb could even reach her, he felt it.

The searing pain that exploding on the left side of his stomach, "Georgia" he whispered softly as his eyes began to grow heavy and the the sound of sirens could be heard in the distance.