Fifteen

"Things aren't always pretty"

O N W A R D S;

Caleb hadn't felt this happy in such a long time and it was all because of one person in particular. He grinned broadly at a text that lit up his phone.

5:37– Listen Casanova
5:37– Takeout is a necessity, bring me some on ur        way  over.
5:38– these ppl continue to starve me

Caleb chuckled out loud as he grabbed some of his files from on his desk, making his way to his car. Placing the files on the seat beside him he took out his phone typing a reply.

5:42– Yh takeout sounds good.

He turned the ignition on and drove out of his building's car park and drove to the nearest Chinese restaurant.

5:59– Sweet and sour chicken or?

When she didn't reply Caleb shrugged it off and put in the order for sweet and chicken, knowing she liked it and would want it anyway. Soon, he pulled up at the hospital with the bags of food and a grin that looked like it couldn't fit on his face. Again his happiness had gotten in the way of the fact that the same van had been watching him from afar.

He smiled at Betty, the receptionist who smiled back at him, "Spoiling the girl now aren't we?" Betty grinned at him.
Caleb shrugged, "Well what can you do, I can't resist a pretty face."
"Mhm", Betty chuckled as Caleb was about to make his way to the elevator, "Oh Caleb! I almost forgot, Georgia has a friend seeing her at the moment, I don't know if you want to wait awhile or..."

Caleb's brow suddenly furrowed, "A friend?"
Betty suddenly ran flipped through her clip board, "Yeah, yeah, she should be still in there now." Betty smiled up at him.
But he wasn't reassured at all, "A woman, so polite she was. She actually asked if you were inside with her."
Caleb's eyes widened, "She give you her name?"
Betty nodded, her eyes traveling through her papers, "Mhm yes, Daniella Pascal."

Caleb shut his mouth tightly, "But she's not on Georgia's guest list."
Betty shrugged, "She didn't seem to be of any harm, she said she was a friend of Georgia's from college. She'd even brought her a bouquet and chocolates."
Caleb suddenly felt nauseous and by the look on his face Betty looked suddenly felt alarmed as well, "Why? Is something the matter?"
Caleb shook his head, forcing a smile, "No, let's hope not."

Caleb pushed the button to the elevator so hard, he thought it might break and now as he was trying to rush to her, he felt as though nothing was moving fast enough. The elevator had stopped on floor 3 and as two doctors got in Caleb wanted to scream at them to hurry up. He had no idea what would be waiting for him when he arrived. His temper had risen when again people suddenly felt the urge to need to use the elevator causing more delays than Caleb needed right now.

Tapping his foot impatiently at the elevator floor, he'd caught the attention from another man.
"I love their Chinese food, dude."
He pointed to the bags Caleb was holding and he grimly nodded back.
"Have you tried their wantons, man they're great." Caleb grunted in reply not wanting to have conversation with this man.

Finally the elevator pinged at floor 6 and as the doors burst open Caleb's hazel eyes met blue ones. Daniella—

Unable to hold back his tongue Caleb spoke up, "What are you doing here?" His voice harsh.
Daniella flipped her blonde ponytail over her shoulder, she looked relaxed, wearing a white sundress and white stilettos to match.
She grinned at him, "I just came to give my friend a visit. Introduce myself."

Caleb stepped out of the elevator as Daniella stepped in, "You're painting didn't do her justice Caleb, she's far more gorgeous in person."
Daniella winked as the door closed and Caleb gritted his teeth, as his footsteps sped up to Georgia's room. He stood outside for a moment, hesitant as to whether he should go in or not. He paced himself and shook his head before his conscience could tell him otherwise he pushed the door open.

Georgia sat on the bed, where she's always been but this time it was different. The first thing Caleb noticed about the room was that Daniella did indeed drop off a bouquet and a tray of chocolates and as Caleb's eyes met emerald ones, he gulped. He watched as Georgia stared at him, her eyes glassy as he stood behind the door with two bags of takeout in his hand.

"I bought sweet and sour chicken..." he began.
"I didn't know if you if wanted or not, you didn't answer my text."
He saw her lift her lips in a smile but it didn't reach her eyes and it was then he knew that whatever Daniella had told her was whirling around in her head. There was an uncomfortable silence, a silence Caleb didn't know how to break but he didn't have too as her shaky voice echoed through the room.

"She's pretty."

Caleb shook his head, "Huh..."
"Your girlfriend is pretty."

"Georgia," Caleb began, "Daniella's not my...."
But she only shook her head, "I know, but you slept with her during the years, I wasn't around."
She said the last part as if it hurt her, "Georgia, what did she tell you?" Caleb asked softly.
Georgia smiled sadly, "Something I knew already."
Knew already? What?

Caleb shook his head trying to rap his head around it, "Georgia, what did she tell you?" He asked again, more urgently.
But she only shook her head, "Whatever it was, don't listen to her! Whatever she told you, it was only to scare you away!"
Georgia smiled shaking her head, "Did she make you happy?" She asked changing the subject.

Caleb bit his lip, "She wasn't you." He replied honestly.
She scoffed, "That wasn't my question, Caleb!"
He shook his head, "No. No, I was sad and lonely and... I needed someone and that someone was Daniella."
Georgia nodded at his answer, "Georgia," he pleaded, "Please tell me what she told you."
This time the look Georgia have him was emotionless, "I think you should leave Caleb."

"Leave?" Caleb was flabbergasted.
"Why do you want me to..."
"Just please, don't make this harder than it has to be." She whispered softly.
"Georgia wait!"
"No Caleb just leave me alone please."
Caleb gritted his teeth, "What brought this on? Why are you..." he trailed off.
"Just listen for once, I want you to leave now!"

"What did Daniella tell you?" He asked again his voice growing louder.
Caleb's fierce eyes watched as tears spilt from hers "I told you, something I already knew."
When Caleb didn't move, she groaned loudly, "If you don't leave within five minutes, I will page the nurses and tell them to call security!"
"You wouldn't."
When she pressed the button in defiance Caleb dropped the bags on food to the floor scoffing, "Enjoy your meal Georgia." He said slamming the door behind him, leaving the girl to burst into tears alone.