Sixteen

"Just listen to m e."

O N W A R D S;

Two days.

Forty eight hours.

Two thousand eight hundred and eighty minutes,

since he'd seen Georgia and with every passing second his rage was filling. What happened two days ago had completely taken Caleb by surprise and without an explanation from either parties involved left Caleb clueless. He'd called Georgia over the course of the forty eight hours but not to his surprise she didn't pick up, if she thought she was getting away from him that easily again. She was dead wrong.

On the other hand, Caleb had some choice words for Daniella who just like Georgia was ignoring his calls, and she had good reason too. He ran his fingers through his hair frustrated and thought about pelting his phone across the room of his pent house. At the sudden knock to his door, Caleb eagerly went to it  and checked the key hole to see James. Opening the door swiftly, Caleb grinned at his friend, "What brings you to mi casa?" He asked.

James shrugged, "Needed a break." He replied honestly.
Caleb's eyebrows furrowed, "From?"
James made his way to the kitchen taking out a bottle of whiskey and pouring himself a glass, "Christina thinks I'm cheating."
Caleb made a face but easily hid it, "Well, are you?"
James looked at him mouth agape, "No."

"How could you even think that!" Caleb saw a flash of hurt cross his face.
Caleb shrugged, "I just needed to check."
James scoffed shaking his head, pouring himself another glass.
"Why does she think your cheating?" Caleb asked.
James sighed, "She saw texts between me and Daniella."
Daniella? "Of course, the text were harmless but that only got her imagination turning"

Caleb narrowed his eyes, "Then Christina comes home from the grocery and a few minutes before Daniella paid me a visit."
Caleb frowned, "Why the fuck was Daniella at your house?"
James waved him off, "Of course, Christina goes ballistic upon seeing her— I swear it's those pills she's taking...."
Caleb cut him off, "Why the hell was Daniella in your house!"

James shrugged, "She was asking about you."
"Asking what exactly?"
"About the girl you've been seeing, Georgia. She asked how you guys broke up."
Caleb gritted his teeth, "And you told her..... what?"
James downer another glass, "Well I told her what I knew, that little miss hospital left you high and dry in Greece. No reason, nothing."

Caleb shook his head, "What else?"
"Why does this matter bro?" James asked.
Caleb snatched the whiskey as James was about to pour another glass, "Because Daniella paid her a visit and told her shit!"
James made an 'o' shape with his mouth, "What happened?"

Caleb went over the story of what had happened two days ago and James nodded his head, not looking the least bit bothered, "Maybe she did you a favor." He shrugged.
"A favor?"
Janes nodded, "Saved you from getting hurt by her again."
Caleb knew that she could do it again, that she could break him again but he chose to ignore that possibility and give her the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe if he kept at it, she'd remember why she left in the first place and they could get past it, together. Sure, maybe he was making a huge mistake, but she was worth the risk and in the last few weeks since he'd been visiting her in the hospital, he hadn't felt that happy in a long time. So Caleb was choosing happiness if it be the death of him or not.

"Daniella's actions were for her own benefit." Caleb muttered.
James shrugged, "Maybe, but in my opinion, I think it was for the best."
Caleb's fist tightened, "I'm going to get her back."
James chuckled, "Take care she disappears on you again"
Caleb didn't find that funny, "Shut the fuck up James"

James lifted his arms up and mock surrender, "It's cool man. Just be careful will ya?"
Caleb rolled his eyes, "Who are you my mother?"
James smirked, "Mhm, time to get back home." He checked his watch chuckling.
Caleb nodded, "Yeah it is. Give Christina my regards."
James scoffed, "Sure, if she doesn't kill me first."
Caleb chuckled softly, and walked his friend to the door.

Caleb was sitting on his couch with a plate of spaghetti in his hands watching the game when his phone rang beside him.
"Caleb Hearst!" A shrill voice came over the line and Caleb smiled.
"Mom." He answered.
"What is this I'm hearing about me being a grandmother?"
"A secret baby Caleb! Please!"

Caleb waited for her to calm down before asking, "How was your trip?" He asked.
He heard her cackle, "You do not get to change the topic young man!"
He rolled his eyes, "It's not real. No one is pregnant."
He heard her let out a sigh, "Phew, but you have been visiting the hospital."
He sighed, "A friend of mine was in a car accident. I went a few times to visit her."

"Her?" His mother, Jillian shrieked.
"What's her name? Have I heard of her?"
Jillian blasted him with questions left, right and center but Caleb answered them with ease, managing not tell her a simple peep about his and Georgia's history.
"Is she doing well now?"
"Mhm" he answered.

Jillian sighed, "How's Daniella?" The sudden change of topic had caught him off guard.
"She's— well,  whatever was between us has come to an end."
His mother was quiet, "Finally." Jillian sighed, "I never did like that girl, too plastic."
Caleb chuckled, "I never knew you didn't like her."
His mother scoffed, "I knew you didn't like her either."

Caleb raised his eyebrows, "Do tell me how?"
Jillian chuckled, "Oh please dear, the only woman you ever loved was the woman your father chased away."

~*~

I thought a cliffhanger was appropriate for the end of this chapter.
Tell me your thoughts.