Chapter 4

Magnus's POV

"Are you okay? You seem distracted", Catarina says.

"No. No, I'm here. What were you saying? ", I ask.

"Who is she? ", she asks.

"Who are you talking about? ", I ask.

"The one you're thinking about", she says.

"I'm not thinking about anyone", I say.

"Okay then, who is he? ", she asks.

"My new neighbour", I admit.

"Describe him", she says.

"Tall. Black hair. Bright blue eyes", I say.

"Hotness on a scale from 1 to 10?", she asks.

"100", I say.

"Alright. Ask him out ", she says.

"I can't. I feel like I forget all the languages I know when I see him. And, what if he's straight? ", I ask.

"So, you're gonna complain for the rest of your life? ", she asks.

"I don't know", I say, shrugging.

Catarina Loss has been my best friend since university. She chose gynecology while I chose pediatrics. We work in the same hospital now.

"How is Ragnor? ", I ask.

"Yeah, he's good. We met last week", she says.

"It's been ages since I saw him", I say.

"I know. We should hang out sometime, how about next week? ", she asks.

"My mom's coming. I can't make it", I say.

"Alright. Can I visit her this weekend? I can also see your hot neighbour that way", she says.

"Fine. How are things with Ethan? ", I ask. Ethan is Catarina's adopted son.

"Good, he's at his play school now. It's tough raising up a child you know. And, he's so mischievous", she says.

"I understand", I say, squeezing her hand.

"No, you don't", she says.

"Yes, I don't", I say.

"Alright. So, I've to go", she says.

"Okay, should I drop you back? ", I ask.

"No, I have my car", she says.

"Alright. Text me after you reach home. See you tomorrow", I say, pulling her into a hug.

"You should visit Ethan soon. He misses his godfather", she says.

"I will", I say.

"Hey Magnus. How are you? ", Camille asks as I come out of the cafe. She's wearing a sleeveless white top and a white miniskirt. Her blonde hair shines against the sun and her deep green eyes pierce through the amber of mine.

"I'm fine. How are you?", I ask.

"Good, are you seeing someone? ", she asks.

"Yeah, I am", I say and enjoy the jealousy on her face. She cheated on me three months ago and the breakup was horrible. She made me feel like I wasn't worth anything. My friends were the ones who helped me get over her.

"Alright then, see you later", she says and enters the cafe.

I drive around town, buying clothes, groceries and some things for my house. I see a cute shirt for Ethan and
buy it and I buy Max a magic set.

I buy a take away and arrange all the things I bought.

There's a knock at the door.

"Coming", I shout and open the door.

"Hey", Alexander says as I open the door. He is wearing a white T-shirt and blue jeans. His eyes, god.

"Oh god, he's hot", I think.

"Oh hi. Come in", I say.

"Do you mind if I look at these? ", he asks, pointing at a bunch of photos at my wall.

"No", I say and join him.

"This is my mom", I say, looking at a picture we took on our trip to Italy.

"You look a lot like her", he says, not taking his eyes away from the picture.

"This is Ethan. He is my godson", I say.

"He's adorable", he says.

"I know. And these are my best friends, Catarina, Ragnor and Raphael ", I say.

"You all seem awfully close", he says.

"We are. Catarina and I work at the same hospital. Ragnor is my friend from childhood. I saved Raphael once. We kind of clicked", I say.

"Is this you?", he asks, looking at a childhood pic. I was around three or four at that time.

"Yeah", I say.

"You look super cute", he says.

"How's Max? ", I ask.

"Yeah, he's back to normal", he says, tearing his eyes away from the picture to look at me.

"Good. I was planning to check on him. I bought him a magic set", I say.

"He'll love it and um Magnus", he says.

"Yeah? ", I say.

"I wanted to give you something", he says, opening a box.

It's a small crystal ring with a blue pearl.

"Is it for me? ", I ask, looking up at him.

"Yeah. It's our family ring . It's our tradition to give it to someone who saved our life", he says.

"Alexander, Max had a fever. Anyone would have saved him", I say.

"It doesn't matter, Magnus. It's a token of gratitude . It's supposed to keep you safe. I'd understand if you don't want to wear it", he says.

"I'd want to wear it", I say.

"Alright then, it's yours", he says, handing me the ring.

"Are you okay? You look tired", I say.

"I stayed up all night. I was worried about Max and couldn't sleep", he says.

"Oh", I say.

"I'd better be leaving then", he says.

"Okay. See you later", I say.

"He stayed up all night for his brother. He freaked out when his brother was sick. He gave me a ring because I gave his brother a tonic. Do people like him even exist anymore? ", I think.

Alexander is different from everyone I had met. In a world, so cruel and selfish, he was so pure and innocent. And, his sweetness is doing nothing to stop me from falling for him.