Chapter 13

Alec's POV

"Izzy, are the diagrams coming good? ", Max asks, turning to face Izzy.

"Yeah, yeah", she says, waving her hand, dismissively.

"Jace, you should improve your handwriting, my teacher will think I'm illiterate", he says, looking at Jace's paper.

He glares at Max for a moment but continues writing Max's homework.

"So, Max, today we're gonna learn math", I say.

"I don't like math. Math is difficult", he says, crossing his arms.

"We'll solve the easy sums. Let's try subtraction", I say, looking at Max.

"Fine", he says.

"Let's say, Izzy made 5 cookies and you ate 2, what do you have now? ", I ask.

"A stomachache and several broken teeth? ", he asks, looking at me innocently and Jace and I burst out laughing.

"Good one, Max", I say, breathless and he smiles at me.

"Hey. That was rude, Max", Izzy protests.

"Truth hurts, Izzy", Jace says, holding a chair for support and clutching his stomach.

"Alec, am I such a bad cook? ", Izzy asks, looking at me.

"You're not a bad cook, you're a terrible cook", I say and Max and Jace start laughing again.

"Oh, shut up you two", she says, rolling her eyes and I see the small smile she's holding back.

"That way too much sass for a ten year old. Good job, Max", Jace says, high fiving Max.

"Yeah, I don't remember the last time I laughed so much", I say, hugging Max.

"But, you should apologize to Izzy, see she's angry", I say and Max walks up to her.

"I'm sorry, Iz", he says, hugging her.

"Aw, it's okay, Max", she says.

"I won't tell you, you're a terrible cook even if it's the truth", he says and Jace and I burst out laughing again.

"Enough, boys", Izzy says in a stern voice and both of us shut up.

"Okay, so, Max. Let's do addition then. Solve these sums", I say, writing a couple of sums on a sheet of paper.

"Okay", he says and starts solving them.

"Um Alec? ", Elena asks as she enters  my house.

"Oh hey Elena. Is everything okay? ", I ask.

"Magnus drank a bit too much and is a bit um er disoriented. Could you help me a bit? ", she asks.

"Yeah, yeah sure", I say.

"Elena, stay for a cup of tea, I'm sure Alec can take care of Magnus", Izzy says.

"Yeah, I'll go with Alec. Don't worry,  Elena", Jace says.

"Thank you so much, boys", she says.

"Why are you accompanying me, Jace? ", I ask, looking at him suspiciously.

"Nothing, Alec. I just wanted to help you", he says.

I raise my eyebrow at him but don't say anything.

"Magnus? ", I call as I enter his house.

"Alexander! ", he shouts in a dramatic voice and jumps into my arms.