Chapter 8

Alec's POV:

"Hi Magnus. How are you? ", Max asks as we pass by him in the corridor.

Magnus is wearing a plain grey T-shirt and jeans. God, his amber eyes. I've told you once to google amber eyes, in case you haven't, google it. God, his eyes.

"Oh hello Max. How are you? How's school? ", he asks.

"Hi Alexander", he says, lifting his eyes up and smiling at me.

Wait, now, imagine a cannibal living in a remote island with his tribe. Now, imagine how they would dance when there is a festival. Come on, you have seen enough movies to know that he would jumping up and down maniacally. That is how my heart is jumping inside my rib cage.

"School's fine. You should meet my friend, Eric. He too wants to be a doctor", he says.

"Okay. I'll meet him sometime. Wait, I bought you something", he says and disappears into his house.

"Alec? Are you okay? ", Max asks, looking up at my face.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Fine", I say.

"Here you go, buddy", he says, giving him the magic set.

"Thank you so much, Magnus. Can I do magic like you? ", he asks, hugging him and I smile at them.

"Yeah", he says, ruffling Max's hair.

"You can do magic? ", I ask, looking at Magnus.

"Yeah, a bit", he says.

"Wow", I say.

"Thanks", he says, smiling.

"Alexander, can I speak with you for a moment? ", he asks.

"You go on Max. I'll come home in a minute", I say.

"Okay", he says.

"Is this about my mom? ", I ask, as we enter his house.

He nods and shuts the door. My heartbeat quickens and I try my best to ignore it.

"What did she do? ", I ask.

"She's been hanging around your house. I'm scared if she'll meet Izzy or Jace", he says, honestly concerned.

"Thank you so much, Magnus for telling me this", I say.

"No problem. Do you want a cup of coffee? You look a bit out of color ", he says.

"Yeah okay", I say.

He appears a few minutes later with two cups of coffee while I think about my past.

"Here you go", he says.

"Thanks", I say. I've been so disturbed by this news that I even forgot to be nervous around him.

"So, do you wanna tell me about her? It's okay even if you don't want to", he says.

"My father wanted to separate from my mom when I was thirteen. They both used to argue all the time and he liked someone else. But, then Max was born and my father stuck around. I came out when I was nineteen. My parents were very traditional. They chucked me out. I kind of stayed around, took up part time jobs and kept it going. Jace was seventeen and Isabelle was fourteen. They wanted to come with me but my parents didn't agree. Sent them to Spain. But then, a few months ago my father stopped coming home altogether. And, my mother fell into such a depression that she didn't take care of Max. Never gave him lunch, never helped him with homework. Max started losing weight, dark circles under his eyes. His teachers noticed it and reported it to the authorities. I had already started working with a law firm then and filed a complaint against her and requested his custody. The case went on for three months and we won. Izzy and Jace moved in with me. New town, new people, things seemed better", I say.

"Oh", he says but I know his mind is processing all the information he just heard.

"Thank you for listening to my rants. I think I needed it", I say.

"You're welcome", he says, smiling.

"And the coffee too", I say.

He smiles a small smile and I know he's wondering how I am acting like everything's fine.

Everyone's life is difficult, everyone's life is fucked up, some are just better actors than others.

"Take care, Alexander", he says, touching my arm and I tense up a little.

"You too, Magnus", I say.

"My life is going downhill and yet I'm standing here thinking of kissing him", I think and mentally scold myself. And, I think he was thinking about the same thing too.

"Alexander, my mom's coming home this weekend. I was wondering you, Jace, Izzy and Max could've dinner with us. Saturday night? ", he asks.

"Yeah, okay. See you later then", I say.

"Yeah see you", he says and I walk into my house and see Jace and Izzy arguing over something and I smile to myself and shake my head.

"Alec, do you want to see my magic trick? ", Max asks.

"Yeah sure, Max", I say and sit down beside him.

I look at him without hearing a word he says. He looks a lot like me, same black hair, blue eyes. He keeps talking without drawing a breath and I wonder how he doesn't get tired.

"Wow. Max, that was cool", I say, as he finishes the trick and he glows with pride.

I see that Izzy and Jace have now reached a conclusion and are now shaking hands.

"Are you happy with us, Max? ", I ask.

"Yeah. Eating breakfast with you all. Singing with Jace on the way to school. Hugging Izzy tight when she comes to pick me from school. You helping me with homework. All of us going to the park. Magnus showing me tricks. Laughing with Eric at school. I like this town, Alexander ", he says.

"Alexander? I don't like being called 'Alexander' ", I say.

"You didn't say anything when Magnus called you Alexander", he says.

"Yeah, I didn't. Alright", I say, in a small voice.

"Do you miss mother and father?", I ask.

"Father was never around, he never visited me regularly. Mother was fine but she never played cards or monopoly with me. I like it better with you all", he says.

I kiss him on the top of his forehead and snuggle him.

And in that second, all the nights I spent awake because Max cried and every tantrum he threw and every time I had to change his diaper seemed worthwhile.