22 Caught In Time

Last night, I put my mobile in my pocket and on vibrate to wake myself up without disturbing Topher.

We decided to celebrate our Valentine’s Day today since I’ll be leaving tomorrow morning for LA and staying through the holiday. Our first Valentine’s Day and we’ll be spending it across the country from each other. But, that really seems to be our luck.

Setting my alarm the night before seemed like a great idea, until it was time to wake up. It worked like a charm, but it scared me half to death. This in turn, made me jump and wake up Chris. I just ‘hmphed’ and rolled over, pretending to still be asleep. Luckily for me, he bought it, because a few minutes later I heard a light snoring.

I knew he snored.

Either way, at that point, I managed to pull myself out of bed – reluctantly. Now, I’m standing in the kitchen trying to gain my bearings. Coffee is my best bet and probably splashing my face with a bit of warm water.

I know I’m usually groggy in the morning; in fact, I’m downright bitter. But this one was particularly hard. Last night was one of those nights that you’re so excited about the next day that you can’t really sleep. One spent tossing and turning and waking up every five minutes thinking you’ve slept for hours. Then when you realize that it’s been minutes and not all night, the moving begins again. Then, out of nowhere, your brain thinks it’ll be funny to actually put you to sleep for like a half hour just so it can scare the complete shite out of you when your alarm goes off.

Back in the present, I try not to drown myself as I throw water on my cheeks. The whole reason I woke up early is because I want to make my husband breakfast in bed to start off our romantic day together. Drowning would probably put a damper on that.

Once I’m a little more awake and can use a kitchen knife without accidently harming myself, I set to work on my fry up. Well, most of a fry up. I decided against vegetables since I don’t like them and I’m pretty sure that’s not an American thing. Instead, I stick to eggs (scrambled with cheese, since that’s Toph’s favorite), sausage links, bacon, hash browns, beans, and toast. I also make more coffee, some tea and pour some orange juice.

It doesn’t take all that long, but it feels like I’ve been in the kitchen forever. After it’s prepared, I put it on plates and put our plates on a tray for breakfast in bed. Before I grab the food, I walk over to our sound system and start to play our first dance song. It’s on a CD that I made up with a bunch of songs that have meant something to us in the last year. Nothing too crazy, just songs that I knew would make him smile.

As the song plays through the flat, I grab our breakfast and make my way into our bedroom. It only takes a few times of me whispering his name for Topher to open his tired blue eyes. A smirk instantly lines his lips as he looks up at me.

“Happy Valentine’s Day, love,” I say as I put the tray over his legs as he sits up against the headboard. “I made you a little something.”

“Breakfast in bed?” he asks around a yawn, stretching his arms over his head.

Nodding, I climb into bed next to him and plant a kiss on his smiling lips, “Yep. We aren’t going to be able to do this as much as we would like. I thought I would make you happy while I can.”

“You always make me happy,” he leans toward me again stealing another kiss. Scratching his head he looks down at the food, “You know what I’ll never understand?”

“What’s that?” I question as I take a piece of toast and dip it in the beans.

He nods at me while I take a bite, “That - beans for breakfast. I’ll never get it.”