27 Happy Birthday!

The party is in full gear as the doorbell rings again. Looking around, I don’t see my mum or sister. I guess I’ll be answering the door.

I have to raise my arms to get through the mass of people. Angela invited all her school friends and neighborhood kids. It’s not a problem for me because I’m just ‘Angela’s brother’, but I lost Toph ages ago to a flock of teenaged girls. Everyone here has pretty much confessed their love for him. But who can blame them? He is a pretty great guy.

My childhood home is pretty big, but there are so many people that they fill the first floor. Mum would have set up something in the back garden, but that’s not somewhere anyone wants to be in February. Navigating through everyone isn’t easy.

Finally making my way to the door, I open it and instantly get pounced on. It’s a good thing I’m still holding on the doorknob or I would fall over.

“DAY JAY! I heard you were in town! I can’t believe it!” One of my closet friends since primary school, Marcy, shouts at me. Now that I’ve steadied us, I look down to see her attached to me much like a koala attaches to a branch. “Why didn’t you call me?”

Patting her back, I chuckle, “I just got in last night and if you can’t see I’m a little preoccupied.”

She lifts her head from my neck and looks around, “Wow, quite a bash. Is this your fan club meeting?” Her tone is mocking as is her smile.

Marcy and I have known each other all our lives; she lives right across the street. We put up with each other as kids since our mums used to mingle, but we didn’t really become friends until I defended her on the school playground. Ever since, this little koala act and the teasing has pretty much been normal.

She was also the one that came to see me in America a few months ago.

“No, this is Angela’s sixteenth birthday party,” I raise a brow at her.

 “Lala’s sixteen already?”

“It’s gone fast, yea?”

“I remember the days when she would spit her dummy at people,” she tilts her head to the side, reminiscent, but still holds onto me with all her limbs.

Knowing that she’s not climbing off anytime soon, I back into the house and shut the door. It is rather cold out.

“How come you don’t have a coat on?” I ask as I lean against a wall and rub her arms.

“Well, mum came in from shopping and said that she ran into Terrence Parker’s mum at the little grocer’s down the street. And Missus Parker said that Tommy, Terrence’s youngest brother, said that he was coming here for Angela’s birthday and that some famous person was going to be there. Then mum asked who it was and Missus Parker said that she wasn’t sure, but that she thought he was some friend of the ‘older Moore-Hill kid’ and that he was pretty decently famous. So I figured it was probably you, and Topher was here since you two were pretty much inseparable in New York.” Then she looks one way, then the other from where I’m standing, “Where is he?”

“Lost him ages ago,” I shrug as I shift her weight a little to hold underneath her legs where her thighs meet her knees. “So, you just ran right over?”

“Yep,” she nods and then kicks her legs from her knees, “didn’t even have time for shoes.”

“You’re going to get sick,” I scold her.

“Nah, it was a quick run,” she smiles at me before hugging me again.

“There you are,” I hear my husband’s voice and look over to see him walking toward us. He shakes his head as he stops next to us, “And I see you caught a Marcy.” He leans in to put his lips to mine in a short kiss before speaking again, “I’ve been fighting off teenagers for like an hour.”