35 Friends

The next day starts much like the day before. I wake up to no call from my husband. I get dressed in an over-priced suit. I leave my flat only to be greeted by swarms of people outside the courtroom. And I sit in an uncomfortable wooden chair where I have to listen to people talk about me.

Not the most glamorous of lifestyles.

Once the bailiff announces the judge, everything just seems to go from there. Instead of opening statements, the prosecution immediately calls their next witness. I’m looking down at my hands when the judge asks them to do so, but when I hear Halloran say her name, I shoot to attention.

“Prosecution calls Rebecca Rattan to the stand.”

My eyes focus in as I watch her walk from the back of the courtroom. She’s wearing a smug smile that matches her ruby red lips. And, as in princess fashion, she’s wearing a closely fit knit blue dress with red and white striped heels. Apparently she’s team America.

They get her sworn in and settled before Halloran starts, “Could you please state your name for the court?”

“My name is Rebecca Rattan,” she tries to act bubbly and cute.

“And, Miss Rattan, can you tell us your affiliation with the defendant.”

“I wish there was none,” she’s sassy as always, but it only makes me smile. She’s so Rebecca. “I met Damian through Topher when he and I were dating.”

“And how long have you know, Mister Ashton?”

“Which one?” her eyes widen slightly when she becomes confused.

Halloran chuckles lightly, “I apologize, Mister Damian Ashton. How long have you known Damian?”

“We met about a year and a half ago.”

“At which time you were dating Topher?”

She smiles, “Correct.”

“And how long had you dated Topher?”

“Objection,” Bridget’s voice rings through the courtroom, “relevance?”

Halloran smiles sweetly at the judge, “I’m proving the lack of relationship between Damian and Christopher before their marriage.”

“I’ll allow it,” the judge looks over her glasses at Bridget, “Overruled.”

“Thank you, your honor.” The prosecution looks to his witness, “How long did you and Topher date?”

“Topher and I were together for three years,” she grins at the jury.

“And of those three years,” Halloran turns toward the jury, “how long did you know Damian?”

“I met Damian a year before we broke up.”

“That would mean that you broke up right around the time that Damian and Christopher got married. Is that correct?”

“Christopher broke up with me the night before he and Damian got married.”

“That’s a little strange, isn’t it? And to your knowledge, was Christopher dating Damian behind your back?”

Her eyes go big and round, “No, I don’t think Chris would do that.”

“Was there any inclination that he may like men?”

“Objection!” Bridget gets to her feet and slams a hand to the table. “The sexual orientation of my client and his husband are in no way part of this case! Sidebar!”

When the two counselors meet at the bench, I see the fiery redhead pointing and gesturing toward our opposition. The judge gestures along with her until she stops and looks over to ADA Halloran. Judge Everett raises an eyebrow and nods to him before making a shooing motion with her hands.