26 Moms

Standing in front of my childhood home, I reach up to the door to knock. Usually, I would just walk in, but I want to surprise Angela properly.

It’s night time at this point. With the long flight and different time zones, we’ve already lost a full day.

After a few seconds, I realize that Christopher (who’s standing next to me) is scratching his neck with one hand and tapping his leg with the other. Turning to him, I take the hand by his side that’s closest to me and turn him to face me.

“Are you okay?”

He sighs and lets the other hand drop, “I’m nervous.”

“They’ll love you,” I bring him closer to my body hugging him tightly before backing up and pressing my lips to his.

“What if they don’t?”

I chuckle, “Then we get a divorce and never speak again.”

His mouth drops in a comical way making me laugh out right.

Once I regain control, I kiss his cheek, “I’m only kidding, love.”

“That’s not funny,” he scrunches his eyebrows together and gives me a disapproving look.

“Just a joke,” I kiss his lips once more. “If by some ungodly force they don’t like you, we won’t have to visit them but maybe once a year at Christmas time.” I shrug still holding him close, “They’re living on the other side of the ocean from us, it’s not like you’ll have to see them all the time. But I promise you, they’ll love you.”

He sighs again and rests his head on my shoulder, “It’s taking them a long time to get to the door. Maybe they really don’t want to meet me.”

“You’re hopeless,” I chuckle as I remove one hand from him to knock again before replacing it quickly. “They’ll love you because I love you.”

“I hope so.”

Lifting his head with my hand, I bring it up to my lips to give him a proper kiss. As our lips dance, I hear a gasp come from beside us. Breaking our embrace, I turn to see my little sister staring at us.

“Hey shrimp,” Blinking at the light behind her, I unlace myself from my husband as I say so.

Her shocked face morphs into a huge smile as she squeals, “You’re here!”

I barely have time to put my arms out as she launches herself at me. She’s such a force that I have to take a step back to balance us. I also feel Topher’s hand on my back as if to catch me if I need him to. I look over to see him with his other hand out too ready to steady us.

I love him so much.

Once she’s satisfied with our hug, she backs away and look over at my husband, “And you brought me a gift?” She says it with a teasing smile and hope lacing her voice as she begins to reach for him.

“Hands off,” I smack her hand in the air. “He’s spoken for.”

“All the good ones are gay,” she pouts in a mocking tone. Then she reaches out for a proper hug, “Welcome to the family, Topher.”

He hugs her a little awkwardly and I have to stifle a laugh.

“Thank you.”

“Are you going to let us in?” I ask as they break apart.

She steps aside and swipes her hand toward the open space for us to enter. I grab my best friend’s hand as I walk forward. He picks up our two small bags before following me.