Two

Hunter turned onto her left side, cracking her eyes open to glance at the clock that sat on the bedside table. Her eyes went wide as she rolled out of the bed, running towards the door. She just had to sleep in on the day that she was supposed to see her friend off.

She wrenched the door open and just barely dodged T'Challa hitting her in the face from trying to knock on the door. He looked shocked at her sudden appearance. "Oh, T'Challa...I was just about to go see Steve before he left.." She stepped passed him, about to head up to the roof, but the king's voice stopped her.

"He is already gone. He left before the sun even rose."

Hurt and confusion passed through the young woman's eyes at this news. "He's...gone..?" She repeated, letting the words sink in. He had left without even saying goodbye. Her gaze shifted to the floor as she fought down the pain in her chest. She had at least thought that the super soldier would have said goodbye or even seen her before he left.

The Wakandan king stepped forward and held out a piece of paper to her. "He wanted me to give you this." As soon as she had the paper in her hand, T'Challa offered a small smile before he excused himself saying he had a busy schedule today. He reminded her that if she wanted to venture out to bring Okoye with her. He even handed her a bracelet of kimoyo beads and showed her briefly how to contact them if she needed something.

The blonde nodded and quickly returned to her room after assuring T'Challa that she would adhere to his wishes. She sank back down onto the bed and slowly opened the letter.

Hunter,

I know that I should have stayed and  at least told you goodbye, but I don't think I would have been able to actually leave with you there. Over the many years that we have known each other, it feels as though we have become family. Which is why I couldn't risk you finding a way to come along. I need to be assured that you're safe and the only way I can be sure is if you're in Wakanda. Please stay there and don't do anything reckless. I couldn't handle it if the government or Tony were to find you.

Steve.

Hunter smiled softly as she folded the letter back up and placed it under her pillow. At least she could put to rest any doubt that Steve cared for her. She turned her wrist over and examined the kimoyo beads before she pressed onto one gently, wanting to contact Okoye.

Her eyes widened when the woman's holographic image appeared in front of her face. "Hunter? Is everything alright?" The stern woman woman asked.

"Oh, yes, I was just wondering if there was maybe a sparring room or something that I could use to work out?"

Okoye smiled at this. "I will be at your room in ten minutes and you can spar with the Dora Milaje."

Hunter grinned at the offer. "That sounds great. Though, I doubt that I would be much of a challenge for you all. You're elite soldiers."

"Nonsense. Make sure to put on light clothing." With that the image vanished.

Hunter sighed and wiped her hands on her pants before pushing herself off of the bed. She walked over to the bag that Steve must have dropped off in her room while she was asleep. She opened it up and changed into a tank top and shorts that she managed to dig out.

She had just pulled her hair up in a tight bun when she heard a knock at her door, and with one last glance at herself, she went to open it.

"Are you ready?" The warrior asked as she gave the blonde a quick once over, nodding in somewhat approval of her outfit choice.

Hunter nodded and slipped on her shoes before she stepped out. "If you mean am I ready to get my butt handed to me, sure." She joked lightly as she began to follow Okoye.

***********************

Hunter was practically trembling in both excitement and fear as they stepped into something similar to a karate dojo. There were quite a few of the Dora Milaje there. She stopped and watched in awe as the women's movements appeared to flow like a steady river. "Amazing.." She breathed. "I can definitely see why the king would want you as his guards. You're fierce."

Okoye flashed her a ghost of a smile before she began to talk to the other women. Hunter didn't even attempt to understand, knowing that not even with practice would she ever be able to speak their language. There was a pause before one of the women stepped up and said something in return.

The woman kept her gaze leveled on Hunter as Okoye turned to the blonde. "Ayo, has offered to spar with you."

The blonde swallowed the lump in her throat before she nodded. "Is it just hand to hand or am I allowed to use my abilities?"

Okoye looked confused. "Abilities?"

Realization hit Hunter, no one except the Avengers and the US government have ever known of her abilities. She cleared her throat. "I'm a shapeshifter. I have the ability to change into any animal I choose."

"May we see?" Another Dora Milaje asked.

Hunter smiled at the woman and nodded. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She focused on how the animal looked, how it walked, how it sounded and even how its heart may beat.

The warriors watched in awe as the woman's body began to morph right in front of their eyes. After only a moment, a panther stood in the place of the blonde. It roared slightly, causing some of the warriors to jump, though it was barely noticeable.

"Quite the coincidence that you would choose to take the form of a panther, no?" The panther turned to see T'Challa walking into the room. "Please, do not let me interrupt. I was curious to see how Hunter fought."

The panther closed her eyes before her body morphed back into a human woman's. She popped her neck and rolled her shoulders slightly. "Hand to hand would be a good idea." Okoye answered her previous question.

Ayo and Hunter nodded at each other, moving to stand in front of the other as they got into their own fighting stances. "Can you try not to break anything at least?" She asked the warrior with a sheepish smile.

"I think you underestimate yourself....but I will try."