Twelve

When they arrived in the throne room, Hunter made her way to Ramonda and Shuri's side, keeping her eyes to the ground to avoid the stares that she could feel the council giving her.

She glanced over to Shuri and leaned in close. "What's going on?"

Shuri looked upset and slightly afraid. "An outsider has gotten into Wakanda. He brought Klaue's dead body too." She only spoke loud enough for the blonde to hear.

Before she could say another word, the doors opened and W'kabi walked in with a man whose hands were tied behind his back. Something about this man was familiar.

One of the council members said something in Wakandan to the man and W'kabi looked to the outsider only saying 'Speak.'

"I'm standing in your house, serving justice to a man who stole your vibranium." The man started, a smug look on his face. "Justice your king couldn't deliver." T'Challa was suddenly on his feet, walking towards the man the Dora Milaje moving in as well. He spoke quietly to the man, but Hunter couldn't catch any of it. "I want the throne." The stranger declared loudly.

The tribe leaders seemed to find this funny and began to laugh, but the man still looked serious. He shrugged and looked around. "Y'all sittin up here comfortable. Must feel good. There's 'bout two billion people all over the world that look like us, but their lives are a lot harder. Wakanda has the tools to liberate 'em all."

Hunter's hand was suddenly grasped in Shuri's. "And what tools are those?" T'Challa was unimpressed with it all.

"Vibranium." He started, "Your weapons." The way he said it reminded Hunter of a snake hissing at a threat.

"Our weapons will not be used to wage war on the world." T'Challa was quick to shoot the idea down. "It is not our way to be judge, jury and executioner for people who are not our own."

The stranger had a disgusted look on his face. "Not your own? But didn't life start right here on this continent." It was more of a statement than a question. "So, ain't all people, your people?"

"I am not king of all people. I am king of Wakanda, and it is my responsibility to make sure that our people are safe and vibranium does not fall into the hands of people like you."

The strange man's nostrils flared in anger at this. Ramonda rose from her seat, moving in front of Shuri and Hunter. "Son, we have entertained this charlatan too long. Reject his request."

The man tilted his head to look at the queen. "Oh, I ain't requesting nothing. Ask who I am."

Shuri stepped forward, away from Hunter. "You are Erik Stevens.." As soon as the blonde heard that name, it was as if all of her senses shut down. This couldn't be her Erik. There was no way that the sweet boy that she had grown up with had become like this.

She was pulled back into reality when Erik began to shout in Wakandan. "I found my daddy with panther claws in his chest. You ain't the son of a king, you the son of a murderer." Ice ran through Hunter's veins at this point.

Ramonda stepped forward and said something in her native tongue before shouting. "Lies!"

"I'm afraid not, Queen 'Monda." W'kabi spoke up as he held up a ring hanging from a chain. It was the exact same ring that T'Challa wore. Everyone in the room gasped as the queen held her hand out for the ring.

Erik wore as smirk as W'kabi handed it over. "Hey Auntie." His gaze shifted to the blonde and his smirk faltered. "Long time, no see Hunt."

Hunter quickly turned her gaze away. She could feel all of the royal family gazing at her, but she couldn't look at them.  "I'm exercising my right for the mantle of king and black panther." Erik continued after a long pause.

The blonde shut her eyes tight and tuned everything else out. This couldn't be happening. This had to be a nightmare that she would wake up from soon.

She would wake up in T'Challa's arms and everything would be normal. Her hopes shattered when she finally heard T'Challa speak. "I accept your challenge."

Her gaze shifted slowly to T'Challa and he was staring at her. Curiosity, confusion and hurt swirled in his dark eyes as everyone began to leave the room until it was only the two of them left. A heavy silence hanging in the air. "If you're going to ask...I knew nothing about him coming here."

The king didn't look at her. "He was familiar with you. The look he gave you, says that you were close at one point."

"We grew up together. My mother and his father were neighbors, so we've known each other since we were babies." She shook her head. "Erik was my best friend growing up, but...that man...that's not Erik, he's let hate and vengeance take hold of him."

T'Challa stood, moving in front of her. "For the sake of your sanity and mine. Stay here and do not come to the ritual. You do not need to endure it." She didn't hesitate to nod, closing her eyes when he kissed her forehead. "I will return to you."

"Promise?"

"I promise."