Six

A//N: The dress in the picture is Hunter's. I can't describe dresses very well so I decided to post a picture instead. Hope that is okay.

----------------------------------------

"You look stunning." Shuri complimented as she met her friend at the entrance of the party. "The dress really compliments your eyes."

Hunter looked down at her gown and shifted slightly. "You sure? I was a little worried that I had grabbed something too flashy."

"I think it looks perfect. It will definitely impress my brother." Shuri teased as she gently nudged the blonde.

The shapeshifter rolled her eyes and shook her head at this. "How many times must I tell you? There is nothing between T'Challa and me, we are just good friends."

Shuri moved her mouth along with Hunter's words, silently mocking her before she grinned. "I have never seen my brother smile this much except for with his ex." She pointed out.

Hunter opened her mouth to come back with a snarky comment, but snapped her mouth shut when she noticed a man kept staring at Shuri. It wasn't a look that conveyed that he was attracted to the princess, it was a look of pure hate. It made Hunter's body feel cold all of a sudden.

Her body shifted slightly, trying to be inconspicuous as she placed herself in between the strange man and her friend. On the outside, the blonde looked nonchalant and relaxed, but inside, red flags were coming up constantly.

Turning her head as if to just glance around the room curiously, she saw the man walking towards them. She looked back to the princess. "Shuri, I need you to go find your brother. I think an assassin has managed to slip in."

Shuri kept her face blank and glanced around the room, making sure not to linger or look twice at the man trying to come at them. She nodded and weaved her way into the crowd in an attempt to find T'Challa or at least Okoye.

The man began to shove people aside, attempting to go after Shuri, but he stopped completely when Hunter stepped into his path. "Your mother didn't teach you any manners I see." She continued to block the man's path as he tried to get passed her.

"Move. This does not concern you, outsider."

"It does when you're trying to go after my best friend." She retorted.

The man groaned a took a step back, pulling out a dagger. Its blade glowed faintly from the vibranium and she could she a dark green substance on the edges. "Fine. I will go through you." He jumped forward, aiming to tackle the blonde, but a spear suddenly hooked into his shirt and threw him back.

Okoye stepped in front of the man, the rest of the Dora Milaje circling him with their spears at the ready. "Hunter, are you okay?" Shuri was suddenly by her side once more, checking the blonde over.

Hunter smiled at the princess and nodded. "Perfectly fine thanks to Okoye and the Dora Milaje."

The man glared at the two girls. "This country has sunk so low. Allowing a child, who laughs at our traditions to design our weapons and an outsider to be at the king's side so casually." He spit at the floor. Before the guards could really react, he had pulled out what looked like a bouncy ball, throwing it towards Shuri and Hunter.

The blonde instinctively moved her body to cover the teenagers. There was a loud explosion and the force knocked the two girls to the ground, Shuri falling on her back with Hunter on top of her.

"Shuri! Hunter!" T'Challa's voice could barely be heard over the crowd yelling and the ringing in Shuri's ears. By the time he got to the girls, he froze in place.

Hunter was lying limp on his sister as the princess clutched the blonde to her chest crying. Hunter's back was burned badly and some parts were bleeding from the pieces of metal that had embedded into her skin. "Brother please. Help me get her back to the lab. I have to help her. Please." Shuri begged the king. She had to do something for the kind soul who had saved her.

T'Challa didn't hesitate as he carefully pulled the woman into his arms, careful of the burns and open wounds. "It will be okay. We will help you." T'Challa whispered to the unconscious woman in his arms. "And when you awake, I will be by your side waiting."

He could hear his sister following closely behind, constantly repeating one word over and over to herself. 'Why'