Twenty-One

Hunter's heart was pounding in her chest as she followed T'Challa out to meet the former Avengers. As soon as she saw Bruce, she ran right for him hugging him tight. "Bruce!"

The scientist stumbled in surprise before he hugged her back. "Hunter, oh god, it's so good to see you." He pulled away and held her at arms length to get a good look at her. "You look amazing..I wish we could have reunited in better circumstances."

"It's okay, I'm just so happy you're back. I was worried when you disappeared after the fight with Sokovia. I helped Nat search for you...well before Tony had me put away..." Her gaze shifted to Wanda and Vision. "Wanda...Vision...I'm happy to see you too." She went to hug them as well, but stopped herself when she saw Vision was wounded. "Oh God...Vision, are you okay?"

"I have been better. It is still good to see you." Vision replied in his usual monotonous tone.

She returned to her spot next to T'Challa as he explained that Steve had Wakanda on his side in this war. She tried to pay attention what they were saying but everything seemed to be muffled.

You can save them. It sounded like a little girl's voice was right in her ear. A great sacrifice will be made and the heroes and earth will be saved from Thanos.

"What sacrifice?" She realized too late that she had said that aloud. T'Challa turned his head to look at her, concern taking over his expression. The group moved quickly to the lab as Shuri began to run tests to see if the mind stone could be removed without having to kill Vision.

Outside, Hunter could see something hitting the shield that protected Wakanda just as she heard Sam and Bucky announce that they had company.

"We have to give Shuri time to work." Hunter finally spoke up. "If Thanos gets that stone, it's over with."

Steve nodded his head in agreement before he looked over at Hunter."I would feel better if Hunter was there to help protect the lab while the stone is being removed."

Hunter smiled and nodded. "I won't let anyone get near that gem." She assured him.

T'Challa turned to the warriors. "Evacuate the city, engage all defences..." He pointed to Steve. "And get this man a shield."

As the others cleared out of the lab, Hunter began to pace as she stared out the window. She had tapped into her abilities to heighten her senses. If anyone or anything tried to get into the lab, she would be the first to know.

With her enhanced sight, she watched as her friends began to fight the beasts from the black order. Her heart felt as though it were going to burst, and her breathing almost stopped when T'Challa asked for part of the barrier to be let down.

Was he mad? "No!" She yelled into her own ear comm. "Give me time to get down there, I'll help."

Hunt, we need you there. Natasha's voice entered her ears. Protect that gem until it's destroyed.

Tears welled up in her eyes as her lips trembled. "I don't want to lose you. Any of you. The Avengers and the people of Wakanda are my family...even Bucky feels like family"

Nobody is going anywhere. We've got this kid. Just hang tight until we get back. Bucky responded.

Shuri, let down the section of the barrier...T'Challa ordered once more. I love you Hunter.

Her heart almost stopped when she heard the channel disconnect meaning he had switched off the link. "No! T'Challa!" She began to pace more. She wanted nothing more than to run to them, but she had promised to stay.

"They are in trouble..." Wanda spoke, breaking the silence. Hunter looked over to see she was using her abilities. "Those creatures have a lot of them pinned."

Shuri looked to Hunter and nodded. "You two go help them. I'll call you on the comm when the gem is separated. At this rate, those things will be at our door in no time."

Hunter didn't hesitate to run out. Before she was out of the building a new scent hit her. It was just the one, so Hunter figured Shuri and the few Dora Milaje guarding her could handle it.

As soon as she was outside, her body morphed into a raven as she took flight, scanning the ground.

She spotted a mess of the four legged monsters that Thanos had created. There were so many, just the sight of them sending a feeling of dread through her. She let herself morph back into her human form in midair, allowing her suit to cover her body.

She used the kinetic energy from the fall to blast the monsters away from her friends. She produced the claws that came with the suit, taking an offensive stance as more of the monsters charged towards them.

"What are you doing? You're supposed to be protecting the gem." T'Challa called out, fighting side by side with the blonde.

"There would be no point it you guys are over run by these things." She grunted as one of the creatures threw her back, but she only came right back and used her claws to slice open its throat.

It felt like they had been fighting at the animal like monsters for hours, but they never seemed to stop. "He's here!" Steve yelled into her comm "someone get to my position. Thanos is here and Vision is in range of him." A cold feeling swept over her.

"I'm coming!" She called back. She made her way quickly in the direction that her suit guided her. As she breached the treeline she froze. Wanda was pushing Thanos back with her ability, while trying to destroy the mind gem.

"Hey! Get away from them!" She screamed, running forward. She launched herself onto the alien, managing to knock him over. Grab the time stone!

The same small voice called out to her. As she struggled to stay on top of Thanos, one hand reached for the green stone in the gauntlet. Her hand had almost brushed the stone, but a hand was suddenly around her throat. "You thought that you could do it on your own? I admire the courage." He squeezed, cutting off her air, wrapping both hands around her throat. She clawed at his hands struggling to breathe. He suddenly threw her to the side and began to walk towards Vision again. "It will be over soon. None of you will have to worry any longer."

Hunter's hand slowly opened to reveal the time stone that she had pried from the glove while Thanos had been choking her. "Don't let them die..." She whispered to it before losing consciousness. The gem began to glow, its green light surrounding everyone and freezing them.

When Hunter opened her eyes, she found herself standing on water, something similar to an alter standing in the middle with a little girl waiting. She had green skin and red hair. "Where am I?" Hunter asked slowly.

The girl shook her head. "We don't have time for that. Do you want your friends to live?"

"Of course I do."

The girl gave a sad smile. "In order to restore their time and save them, a sacrifice must be made."

Hunter was becoming impatient at this point. "Whatever the price, I will pay it! I won't let my friends die."

The girl nodded and held up a white orb. "This will set everything on a new timeline. One where Thanos never came to be, but to send everyone here you must sacrifice time of your own. The time that you spent with King T'Challa in Wakanda will no longer exist to anyone except you, but even those memories will fade in time."

Hunter shook her head, tears stinging her eyes. "I don't care what I have to lose. If they're safe, I can live with it." The girl held the orb out to Hunter.

The blonde never hesitated as she took the orb. It bust in her hand, the six colors from her vision entering her sight before everything went black.

I love you all....