[07] End of the Semester

The semester came to an end and Ellie was relieved. Ellie performed at the school play and did well. Her brothers and friends came to see her perform. 

Ellie wasn't at all surprised to see her mother didn't bother showing up to the play, even when Ellie told her that she's going to be performing. She made sure to tell her mother the date and time to come to the play so she can clear her schedule. 

To no one's surprise, Mary didn't show up. Ellie didn't have high hopes that her mother will show up, but there was still a part of her that hoped she'd show up. She hoped that her mother would bother to show up.

Ellie went back home on the last day of school. Anthony dropped her off at home on his way home.

Ellie went up to her room, where she spent the entire day. She texted her friends in the drama club and Anthony and Aaron, read a few chapters from different books, and watched a few TV shows and a movie. 

Anna came up to check on her every once in a while to make sure that Ellie was okay.

"Hey, your friend came over," Anna said.

"Really?" Ellie asked, setting her book down. "Who?"

"He said his name is Farkle Minkus," she said.

"Farkle?" she repeated. 

She got off her bed and went to the living room to see Farkle sitting there.

"Farkle?" she said.

Farkle looked up and smiled.

"Hey," he said.

"Hey. What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to thank you for directing me to that acting class," he said, getting up from the couch. "I've been learning a lot."

"See," Ellie said. "It's really useful."

"Yeah," he agreed. "And it's really fun. I've met so many people there."

Ellie smiled. 

"Are you going to audition for the next play?" Farkle asked.

"I don't know," she shrugged. "I still haven't decided."

"You should," Farkle encouraged. "You're really talented."

"Thank you," Ellie smiled. 

"Well, um, I gotta go," Farkle said. "My mom is making dinner and I expect she would want me to be home before dinner."

Ellie nodded. "I guess I'll see you in the new year."

"Yeah," he agreed. "Wait, actually, my friends and I are going to have a New Years Eve part. Wanna come?"

"Oh, um, I don't know," she said. "I'll think about it."

"When you decide, text me," he said.

Ellie nodded. 

"Alright, then," he said. "I'll see you at the party, I hope."

"Yeah," she smiled. "Bye."

"Later," he said as he walked towards the door and left.

He closed the door behind him and Ellie locked the door behind him.

Ellie went back to her room and continued to read her book until dinner was ready. 

***

The following day was the first full day of Christmas break. Ellie woke up naturally at eight in the morning. She got dressed and went to the kitchen to make herself breakfast. Anna was already there, making breakfast.

"I'm going to get coffee," Ellie said. "Do you want me to get you anything?"

"Um, no, I'm good," Anna said.

"Should I get something for William?"

"I don't know," she said.

Ellie bit her lip.

"I'll get him something," Ellie decided.

Anna nodded. 

"I'll be back in a bit," Ellie said before leaving to go get coffee from Starbucks.

She walked to the nearest Starbucks, which was around a ten minute walk from the apartment. 

Ellie bought drinks for herself, her brothers and William. She got one for Anna. She had a feeling that Anna wanted something but didn't want to admit it.

"You didn't have to get me anything," Anna said.

"I had a feeling you wanted something," Ellie said. "And it's fine."

"Thank you," Anna said.

"Anytime," Ellie smiled. "Where's William?"

"He's in his room. Should I go get him?"

"Um, it's fine, I'll take the coffee to him," Ellie said.

"Breakfast is ready, by the way," Anna said as Ellie walked out of the kitchen.

"Alright, thank you!"

Ellie took the coffee to William's room and gave it to him. 

Ellie went back to the kitchen to see Justin entering the kitchen and Tyler already at the table, putting some bacon on his plate. 

Justin, Ellie and Tyler had their breakfast and paid Ellie back for getting them drinks. She had them just send the money to her through their banks app. She doesn't like using cash that much but keeps two ten dollar bills in her wallet just in case. She tries to avoid having  cash for as long as possible. 

After breakfast, Ellie left the apartment with Anna to get last minute gifts for Christmas.