Chapter five

Annabelles POV

There was something about this Jax guy that made me feel...funny, I contemplated as I lay in the bath that he had run for me to get myself all cleaned up. He was treating me nicer than I had been treated in such a long time and I didn't even know the guy.

Mate! The voice in my head whispered again and I sighed. I had no idea what that meant but I knew I was going crazy if I was starting to hear voices. Not surprising really when I haven't had anyone to talk to in such long time, I'd need an imaginary friend to stay sane. Even someone like me needed some company every now and again, and if a voice in my head was all I conjure up then that was fine with me.

I sighed again as I laid back in the nice warm water, leaving my feet hanging out the edge of the tub so that the cuts didn't sting to much from the soap. I had already emptied and refilled the tub once so that the water wasn't so filthy, I hadn't realised how dirty I had gotten until I saw clumps of mud swimming around me.

I also now I understood why Natalie would always spend so long in the bath, they were just so relaxing, to be surrounded by nice warm water. I wasn't allowed hot water in the Leften's house, it was too expensive to heat up and apparently, I wasn't worth the money. I was only ever allowed a ten-minute cold shower once a day and they said that was only for their benefit so that they didn't have to smell me.

As I sank further into the water, I started to drift off to sleep, feeling relaxed by the calmness that surrounded me. I hadn't been this relaxed in I couldn't remember how long. I was just about to drift off to sleep when I heard a soft knocking noise come from the bathroom door that made my heart speed up for a split second, reminding me where I was.

"Sorry to bother you my little mate but we really should be getting off to the hospital soon. The doctor wanted to make sure she hadn't missed anything when she came to look you over earlier. She also wanted make sure your elbow was reset correctly after you shifted and that can only be checked with an x-ray" Jax murmured, his voice muffled due to the door that was between us.

I nodded, even though I knew he couldn't see me, before slowly making my way out of the bath and over to the corner of the room where the towels were. I went to grab one of the huge, warm, fluffy white towel to wrap around me that had been resting on the towel warmer and sighed at the comforting feeling of warmth and softness. I was living the life of luxury.

I slowly hobbled towards the bathroom door, limping as I put slight pressure on my many open cuts and a twisted ankle. I rested my hand on the doorknob for balance, proud of myself for making it this far, before I opened it and took in the bedroom to pinpoint where Jax was.

He was sitting on the sofa on the left-hand side of his room and when he heard me coming he looked up from his phone with a huge grin on his face. He held out a pair of his tracksuit bottoms and another one of his t-shirt to me but I frowned at him in confusion, not quite understanding what he meant. I still wasn't completely comfortable using my voice around him and so I just stared at him with a confused look on my face, hoping he would understand my confusion. I learnt my lesson pretty quickly not to speak unless spoken to at the Leftens and even then it didn't guarantee that my voice wouldn't anger them.

"These are for you" he explained as he continued to hold them out to me. "I'm sorry but they are the smallest things that I have in my wardrobe at the moment. I will have someone run out first thing in the morning so that you can have something to wear tomorrow that will actually fit you" he explained, holding out the clothes for me.

I inched forward as I made my way towards him, scared it was some form of trick, but when he didn't snatch the clothes away from me I took them from his outstretched hand with a grateful smile and turned around to get changed.