Chapter Ten

Jax POV

As I placed Annabelle down in the middle of my bed, I stared at her with worry. I knew that watching me shift would have been a shock for her, but I wasn't aware that I was actually going to be causing her physical pain. There was very little known about this form of Alpha control, where a young wolf is forced not to shift at such a young age they forget that they even can. It is a silent rule set amongst us Alphas and the Elder council purely because of the problems it can cause a person and their wolf later in life.

I walked back downstairs, deciding to leave her to rest, and walked into the living room where I spotted my discarded clothes that I had haphazardly scattered around the room. Seeing them there brought back the memory of Annabelle's face as it scrunched up in pain as she clutched her head. I sighed, upset with myself that I was the one that caused her that pain, before I started picking up the articles of clothing and pulling them back on. I was just putting on my last sock when I heard the doorbell ring. I must've been so deep in thought I hadn't heard them walk up the driveway.

I opened the door and smiled slightly in relief as I spotted Doctor Tessler standing on my porch with a small leather medical bag in hand. This woman was a god send.

"Hi Doctor Tessler, please come in" I muttered as I stepped out of the way so that she could enter my small hallway before walking into the living room.

"So where is she? You sounded pretty worried when you linked me earlier" she stated in a very matter of fact tone of voice. She was straight down to business and for that I couldn't be more grateful.

"She's upstairs in my room" I informed her as I pointed in the general direction of the stairs, not that she needed it seeing as she'd been here before.

She nodded as she shifted her bag from her left to her right hand, "if it's alright with you I'd like to check the Luna alone? I don't want your presence to stir her or her buried wolf again, just in case it causes another episode" she quickly explained once she saw me shift uncomfortably at the idea of leaving my mate alone.

I sighed before nodding my head. I may not like the idea of leaving her but I could understand why it was essential. "Of course, please do head up. I will be waiting here when you're done" I informed her as I watched her form disappear through the living room door and up the stair.

I heard her footsteps as they wandered into my room and I kept a close ear on the two upstairs, just in case any of them needed me for anything.

I sighed again as I made my way over to the small bar I kept in the corner of the living room and helped myself to a large glass of whisky. Tonight had been a difficult night and it showed no signs of getting easier anytime soon. I hadn't slept in nearly two days and it was now starting to show.

After a while I heard light footsteps make their way back down the stairs and back into the living room. I quickly downed the rest of the amber liquid that had gone semi warm as it rested in the palm of my hand, before getting up and helping myself to another. I have a feeling I'm going to needed it.

"Physically she's fine" the doctor explained as she came and stood in front of me as I nursed my second glass of whisky. "It's more her mental state that I have concerns with" she continued as she gestured to the sofa opposite me. "May I sit?"

I nodded but otherwise didn't say anything as I watched her take a seat on the edge of my sofa, right where Annabelle had been sitting not to long ago. "As I was saying in the hospital, I feel like we should have a conversation about Annabelle's past and how it would have affected her" she explained.

"Her physical injuries and the fact that she was malnourished will eventually fix itself overtime, her bruises and cuts will heal up and she will slowly gain the weight back on that she desperately needs to with a proper diet plan. Her mental health through is a completely different issue" she paused as she looked over at me to make sure that I was paying attention to her.