Chapter Thirty Seven

Hi guys! Thank you to everyone who has voted so far and to the special select few who have voted on every single chapter I put out... thank you!

Annabelle's PoV

What happened? Was my first thought as I groggily sat up and rubbed my forehead with the heel of my hand, trying to ease the pounding behind my eyes the was threatening to slit my head open. How had I managed to get here?

I was currently sitting cross legged in a field, with more fields attached to this on, stretching out as far as the eye could see, and the sound of a river rushing not too far in the distance. Wildflowers bloomed everywhere, breaking up the see of rolling green hills with splashes of red, yellow and violet. The place was almost picturesque, peaceful, and I instantly knew I was no longer in Alpha Matthews territory. Granted I hadn't had the privilege of seeing much of his land during my imprisonment, but the feeling I had, the feeling of utter relaxation, was something I knew I would never feel when in his near vicinity.

"Hello my child" a soft voice spoke behind me, breaking the silence of the scene around me.

I jumped, not realising that I wasn't alone in this tranquil paradise, before turning around with wide eyes, coming face to face with a woman who was standing a few feet behind me. I couldn't stop myself from staring at her beauty. She didn't have one particular face that she stuck to, instead it was as if she shifted from one body to another, constantly changing her appearance from face to face.

The one thing that did remain constant though were her eyes, glowing bright with a translucent quality to them as they stared into my own.

She wore a white maxi dress, similar to the one I had been forced to wear for the ceremony, and she had a soft aura about her that just made me instantly relax when in her presence. I knew exactly who she was without her having to tell me. Only a goddess could look the way she did.

"How am I... where am I... how did you..." I whispered as I continued to stare at her in awe. I was unable to finish the first question before the next one came tumbling out of my mouth.

The moon goddess chuckled slightly, obviously amused at my fumbling words as I continued to stare wide eyed at her.

"Relax" she soothed as she held her hand up. "One question at a time" she softly spoke as she leant down before making herself comfortable on the ground, amongst the wildflowers and the tall grass. She looked completely at home here, as if she was at one with the nature around her, and I frowned at the slight pang of jealousy I felt towards her. She looked so relaxed and at peace with herself, even when everything around her was in the midst of being destroyed with just a simple spell from an old witch.

"Where am I?" I whispered, darting my head from left to right to see if I could find any landmarks to clue me in on where she had taken me.

"We are in your head my child, the link that you and I share make it possible for me to appear when necessary" she explained.

I nodded my head, frowning slightly as I started fiddling with the grass beneath my feet. There was so much I wanted to ask her, so many questions that I wanted to demand an answer for. Like how could she leave me in a house like the Leftens when she knew where I was and what I was being forced to go through? How could she leave my parents to fend for themselves against Alpha Parker when she was the reason why they were taking and held captive in the first place? But most importantly why, out of everyone in the world, did she choose my family and me in particular to be her messenger? I was, after all, damaged goods.

"I chose your family line because I could see the type of characteristics you all held and knew the type of people you'd all become. Your mother, grandmother and even great grandmother were all extremely kind-hearted people who would not take the power bestowed upon them for granted. They were also very strong willed, just like you, and I knew that you and your family would not crumble under the extreme pressures of becoming my messenger. That kind of combination, being so strong and yet so kind, is extremely rare in a wolf. It is a combination that should be worshiped and cared for".