Chapter 22

A/N: Sorry for the delay, my computer was having issues. Here you go...

Not edited.

All rights reserved, © 2012

RECAP:

“Where are you…? Before I can complete my sentence she shifts into her wolf and runs off. “…Going?” I say to no one in particular. I slump my shoulders in defeat and run after her. I don’t know how to shift into a wolf. I decide to try the same technique that had helped me to shift from wolf to human. My brain is occupied with thinking about my wolf form and I am too focused on mental images of my sharp claws, fangs and fur to notice that Jane is desperately trying to warn me. I run out from the thicket and reach a clearing where I stop to catch my breath.

‘Jane!’  I shout in my mind.

The loud sound of applause echoes through the trees and reverberates against my eardrums causing me to cringe. The clapping abruptly stops and is followed by a deep voice that sends shivers down my spine.

“Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Girls, girls! Can’t ya’ll just get along without biting each other’s heads off?”

Chapter 22

My legs feel like lead as panic surges through my body.  I want to run but my feet are rooted to the ground. Keeping my head still, I move my eyes and look around me. The forest is eerily silent and still, save for the malevolent snickers coming from behind me. Shit.

‘Jane!’ I scream in my head, too scared to turn around and face the owner of the voice.

‘You are going to be the death of me! Why couldn’t you just stay in the thicket?’  Comes her reply.

Seriously? Is she scolding me when I am in mortal danger?

‘What difference would it have made?' I scream in my head. 'Someone heard us arguing and would have found me either way.’ 

My nails dig into the flesh of my palms as I bite my lip. I can feel my entire body trembling with fear.  It is one thing to be prepared and on the offensive. But to be ambushed like this, is another thing altogether.

‘Don’t get your knickers in a twist.’ Jane says. ‘This is a great opportunity for your first lesson. So, listen carefully. Take a deep breath through your nose and tell me what you smell.’

I decide to follow her instructions instead of arguing.  Closing my eyes, I take a deep breath. ‘Body odor, sweat, mud, trees, McDonalds, and cigarettes.’

‘Good. Now really concentrate on the body odor. Is it just one kind or is there more than one?’

I sniff again. ‘Two.’

‘Turn around slowly with your hands in the air. What do you see?’  

I turn around very slowly, my hands up by my head in surrender. It relieves me to see the remaining two boys of the foursome that is hunting me.  ‘Humans. It’s the other two jokers.’  I say confidently, forgetting that is was only yesterday that I was a human too.

‘They have rifles, Estela. We may be werewolves but a bullet can cause serious damage to our body and may even kill us.’

‘What? I thought only silver bullets can kill us?’