Chapter 25

Not edited

All rights reserved, © 2012

RECAP FROM CHAPTER 22:

I walk to Jane and put my arms around her and give her a big hug. The situation is so grave that the nudity does not freak me out anymore. She takes my hand and places some leaves in it. “Don’t forget to eat the Thistlefox every day.” She instructs as I conceal them in my pockets.

“Thank you, Jane…for everything.” I say hugging her again. She nods as she breaks out of my embrace.  She picks up the backpack and the duffel bag swings them onto her back. Her face looks pained, as if the weight of the world is on her shoulders. It is.

“Be safe, love.” She says, a tear trickling down her face. I wipe my own tears as I watch her walk out of the thicket with all of my belongings.

And just like that, I find myself alone, once again.

Chapter 25

Estela POV

It’s a waiting game, that’s what it is. And I’ve never been good at those because let’s be honest, who likes to sit and wait? Not me. I lie down and get some sleep, confident that my ears will alert me to any noises that signal danger. When I wake up, I realize that it is still dark and I am still alone. I sit, I stand and I pace back and forth. But my impatience does not change anything. The worst part about waiting for something that you’re dreading, is that the wait is far more unpleasant. Where are you, you assholes?

‘Jane, do you copy?’ I ask through the mind-link. I hope we are not out of range. Does the mind-link even have a range?

‘This is not a walky-talky, Estela. There is no range. We are connected all the time.’

‘Just making sure…so, where you at?’

‘Where I’m supposed to be…are you nervous?’

‘Very nervous! Do you think we are doing the right thing?’ I ask.

‘I don’t know…but at least there will be some sort of conclusion. No more waiting and no more running.’  She says, her voice sad.

‘Jane?’  I ask.

‘Yah?’

‘You never did tell me why these people are after you.’

‘I’m aware of that. Have you ever thought that I don’t want to tell you?’ She quips.

‘Very funny! I may die here, Jane. You may never see me again. Do you want me to die wondering what your secret is? I don’t want my soul to have unfinished business…no way, I don’t want to become a ghost because you didn’t tell me your secret.’  I say laying on the guilt.

‘Do you always spew out rubbish like this? For someone so smart you are can be exceptionally daft.’

‘I was joking. Anyway, so tell me. Why are they hunting you?’

Silence fills my mind before she answers softly.

‘Because…because I am the heir to the throne.’

‘Throne?’

‘Yes, a ceremonial chair that a Queen or King sits on.’

‘I know that. Which throne? Where? What country?’

‘England.’

‘Holy crapcakes Batman! Are you saying that you are related to Queen Elizabeth?’